Odd guiding behavior

Please use this thread to report any issues that are relating to the post installation of an update
RidesForever

Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:28 am

After the most recent update to v10.3.34.36, I get odd behavior in guiding – here's a screenshot of what I'm seeing
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (42.66 KiB) Viewed 2724 times
“I” can see the guide star, but Prism thinks it’s somewhere else.
I’m using an ST-I guide camera off-axis on a QSIwsg8 camera. Scope is an AstroTech 10” RC
Not sure what I’m doing wrong, but figured there are some settings that could be tightened up to minimize this?
I tried selecting the full frame option, but that was bad (really bad!). It kept skipping to different stars and moving the mount all over the place
I also tried increasing the minimum star ADU a little bit thinking it would look at the brighter blobs on the frame, that didn’t seem to make any difference
I have noticed this happens more frequently on nights with poor seeing, but the odd thing is that light clouds doesn’t seem to affect it much.
I did tighten up the focus on the guide camera and re-collimated the scope – that helped a little, but I’m still seeing this happen more than I think I should
Any hints for dealing with this?
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:05 pm

Hi
You guide star looks adequate and it is lot better than my off axis ones :lol: . Some suggestions:

- Try a 50 x50 subframe, I think 152 x 152 is too big is more prone for having other objects in there like stars, hot pixels, etc..
- When you press the "Start" button from you guider's guiding tab, check the option to pass a 3x3 median filter ( example attahced ). This will help with hot pixels greatly.

I would try these options one at a time and see what the result is, please report back when can.

Thanks
Hamza Touhami | Site Administrator
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
RidesForever

Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:04 am

That is an off-axis guide star! (QSIwsg8 on an AstroTech 10"RC)
It did take a while circling the object to find a nice bright star :)

I think I changed the window size when I first started having problems. I'll shrink the window back to where it should be, add the median filter and let you know what happens!

Thanks
Margo
RidesForever

Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:45 am

Sorry for the slow follow-up...
I employed your suggestions and have worked with guiding the last few clear nights.
Here's some followup:
I shrunk the guide star window back down to 50x50. Big improvement
I added the median filter - another improvement
These two changes got the guiding behavior back to normal!
At this point, I was getting an average guiding error just below 2 pixels. With an OAG at a focal length of 2000mm, I think that's reasonable.
I also tweaked the collimation and focus of the guide camera. This improved it a tiny bit more, so I'm down to 1.7-1.8 average pixel error for the night

Thanks for your help!!
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:32 pm

Thanks for the report, I am glad things are back to normal.
Hamza Touhami | Site Administrator
Hyperion-Astronomy.com