Focuser Error when attempting to use Auto Observation

Please use this thread to report any issues that are relating to the post installation of an update
Arringar

Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:34 pm

Equipment connected:

Paramount ME II
SBIG STT-8300M
SX Lodestar Guide Camera
Moonlite Nitecrawler Rotating Focuser - (via ASCOM driver) - the focuser is connected as both the focuser and the rotator. I have verified that I can successfully control the focuser and the rotator manually via Prism without issues.

I have also observed a number of issues relating to poor error handling in a number of scenarios throwing the error: "access violation error at address" rather than a useful error that indicates what is wrong.

Every time I attempt to start an automatic observation I get a popup when the imaging session starts that says "Focuser system error" then it disconnects the focuser, the rotator, and the mount.

If logs would be helpful, please let me know what to provide.
Arringar

Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:46 pm

I tried removing the focuser from configuration and disabled all focuser related options in the auto observation config and now I get an error popup for the mount instead.
rottielover

Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:40 am

You've got much better equipment than I do, so I'm not sure if this would be helpful or maybe you can just laugh at me...

I've had that issue also with my Moonlight (I have the 2.5" model, the older "standard" focuser). In my case I was having issues with Windows not wanting to assign the COM ports correctly with the moonlight driver (I have an Orion Atlas that needs a COM port, a GPS that needs a COM port). All of these COM ports are virtual ports and I noticed that in my case the moonlight driver will sometimes flake out a bit. Usually in my case all I need to do is go into the hardware setup and go into the focuser 1 settings and then have it load the driver parameters again.

With paramounts I think you are forced to have the SkyX open in order to allow any other software to control it, is that correct?