Good Night system with Prism?

Questions and answers about the best way to get started with Prism including: est hardware to use, software settings, etc..
niklas

Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:19 pm

I try to use Good Night System (GNS) from http://www.lunatico.es/ourproducts/gns.html
It is a system that can send a notation to your phone if something goes wrong.

I'm trying to find out if there is a way to use the system together with Prism. I will need a way to tell the GNS when something is happening in an automatic observation. The GNS need to be called every time with a command line i.e. < update "focusing ready" 120> where "focusing ready" will be sent to the phone and '120' is the amount of seconds the phone will wait until it will issue a warning sound.

Is that possible? I could make my own software that reads the log-file but that is a work around and I also would have to tell the software the name of the log-file every time as Prism make a new file for every observation occasion.

/Niklas

Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:10 pm

Good morning Mr. Storck

Hope the weather is cooperating with you up North :) . As of today, the GNS system and I do not think this is a limitation since you have PGM programming built into PRISM for custom work. Now, one can even build their own automation routine and include anything they wish.

However, I use the automatic observation along with the AAG cloud watcher and I can tell you that I sleep all night long :lol: . PRISM is so intelligent that it can close your rood/shutter and wait for the clouds to pass if your cloudewatcher flags dangerous weather. Of course the AAG has auxiliary output that one can use to physically negate opening the roof/shutter if the weather does not behave. This is an extra safeguard in case there is an OS/software failure. The dome shutter will close after a 5 minutes loss of COM with the computer as well.

To aaswer your question "is it possible?", yes and no. Yes because all the tools are available in PRISM already and NO because we do not have it incorporation in the automatic observation today.

I welcome more ideas since this is a very good one.
Hamza Touhami | Site Administrator
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
niklas

Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:01 pm

Hi Hamza.

No the weather is terrible. We have a winter that seems to consists of clouds and rain, cloud and rain .... I have set up my observatory this summer and soo far I haven't been able to do a proper pool alignment. There was two nights with clear sky but I could not go to the observatory due to work. So I'm a bit frustrated as this text probably indicate :twisted: .

I will check the programming built in to Prism but as far as I understood there was no way to connect that to the automatic observations if I didn't make the whole observation in a script. As you indicate it might not be that important. The only thing that is really important is that the shutter closes if anything fail. I can do this with the Dragonfly and AAG even if the computer fails. However I will be happy if you incorporate GNS in the system in some future :)

I wish you clear and crisp skies.

/Niklas

Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:28 am

I made a workaround in the form of a software that reads the Prism log-file and calls GNS.
Its free to use for anyone who like to try the combination. The good thing with GNS is that it is like a dead mans grip on a train. It will warn you if anything goes wrong, if there is no new line in the log file for 120 seconds it will alarm you even if windows or the net goes down.

Here is the source: https://github.com/niklasstorck/GNS-for-Prism. Its made in Delphi, like Prism :)

The compiled exe-file is in the directory /Win32/release there will be some warnings from Windows because windows do not recognize the program but its OK to bypass that.

best regards
Niklas

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:37 pm

Outstanding work Niklas

I have installed your program and I will report back my findings, thanks for the great work.
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
airwolf599

Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:00 pm

Hi Niklas,

very cool application. A request for improvement would be an adjustable timeout for the watchdog. Since I'm doing exposures with 300 sec's or more, a longer time range would be very helpfull.

Thank you

Wolf
niklas

Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:09 pm

OK, Thanx!

Il'l fix that. Shouldn't take long but not this night.

/Niklas

Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:15 am

Hi.
Here https://github.com/niklasstorck/GNS-for-Prism is a new version with the possibility to change the timeout to any resonable value (10 to 65535 seconds). The executable is in the sub directory https://github.com/niklasstorck/GNS-for ... 32/Release.
Please let me know if i works well (or bad :) )

Regards Niklas

Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:07 am

Thanks Niklas

This is a great contribution and I appreciate it.
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
niklas

Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:21 pm

Well, it's a work around until you include the functionality in Prism. If you do?
/Niklas