10Micron mount modeling?

Questions and answers about the best way to get started with Prism including: est hardware to use, software settings, etc..
brokeastronomer

Mon May 14, 2018 11:37 pm

I was told by a friend to check out Prism as it has built in modeling for 10 micron mounts. Are there any videos of this in action? Somewhere I can view the documentation or do I have to download the trial and try to figure it out while under the trial period?

Also I have a remote observatory without internet access and I wanted to install Prism there. Can I do that without buying the USB dongle or can I really not have it installed without paying extra for offline unlock?

Thanks.
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Tue May 15, 2018 9:48 am

Hi Mike and thanks for joining us

1. PRISM can model 10micron mount natively if you put them in "learn" mode. Unfortunately, I cannot produce a video tutorial about is since I do not have access to a 10Micron myself. We have not undated the documentation to reflect these new features, but will. As for now, you can download the 80 day trial and have a crack at it if you wish, I think nearly 3 months is enough to get used a piece of software.

2. We provide unlock keys for people with offline system at no extra cost.
Hamza Touhami | Site Administrator
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
brokeastronomer

Tue May 15, 2018 11:38 am

Hamza Touhami wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:48 am
Hi Mike and thanks for joining us

1. PRISM can model 10micron mount natively if you put them in "learn" mode. Unfortunately, I cannot produce a video tutorial about is since I do not have access to a 10Micron myself. We have not undated the documentation to reflect these new features, but will. As for now, you can download the 80 day trial and have a crack at it if you wish, I think nearly 3 months is enough to get used a piece of software.

2. We provide unlock keys for people with offline system at no extra cost.
Excellent. I've never heard of "learn" mode so I will find out what that means in relation to my mount and try it out. I am going to attempt to find a weather forecast that will give me a week or so to learn the software and then download the trial. The way my luck goes I will be socked in for 79 days. :)
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:35 pm

How is you progress with modeling your 10micron Mount with PRISM? I would like your input for future reference for our users.
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
niklas

Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:53 am

Hi

I have tried to use the 10 micron switch when doing a mount modell yesterday. There is as far as I can see no documentation on how to get the model into the mount.

Did anyone succeed in this?

/Niklas

Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:42 am

You just use the function that sweep accros fields for setting/building the pointing model and check box that sends the coordinates to the 10 micron mount.
Cyril Cavadore
Principal Prism Author,
Alcor-System
www.alcor-system.com
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:50 am

Niklas

I have used the same function with a GM1000 and PRISM sends the information at the end of the run. Can you please confirm this is what you are seeing?
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
niklas

Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:59 pm

HI.

The way it seems to work is that you enable Sync and "Use sync as refine" . Then when Prism does a plate solve it sends the coordinates to the mount and ad a refinement point to the mounts model.

I have added points while using the telescope but you could of course use the Prism model making function. But You dont have to send any model to the mount after the run as it is done on the fly, so to say.

/NIklas

Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:00 pm

Thanks Niklas. We have tried to send the model to the actual mount and it did work. Hence, there are a few options available to the user.

Hyperion-Astronomy.com
niklas

Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:11 pm

OK. I guess its kind of the same information for the mount. i.e. a combination of where the mount think it points and the information from the plate solve that tells it where it actually are pointing. Then it extrapolate the rest of the sky
From the mounts view it should be the same if it gets the points as a batch or point by point i guess.

Its a wonderful combination Prism and the 10 micron mount! If only the weather would be cooperating I would be even happier ;)

/Niklas