Guider Calibration Fails

Questions and answers about the best way to get started with Prism including: est hardware to use, software settings, etc..
phb

Wed May 23, 2018 10:49 am

Having recently purchased Prism I am very happy with most of its capabilities so far (especially the excellent autofocus routine). However, I am having difficulty getting the guiding function to calibrate. I have tried many times with no luck. Each attempt has resulted in a series of vectors that do not remotely resemble a parallelogram. The failure messages that accompany each try have suggested that I increase the guide speed and/or the wait times. I have done both, with wait times ranging from two seconds to sixty seconds. I have adjusted the gear mesh of the mount and seem to have somewhat less backlash now, though I think due to the design of the mount there will always be considerable backlash remaining.

I am obviously doing something wrong. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Mount: Losmandy GM8/Gemini 2
OTA: Explore Scientific ED-127
Guide Scope: Orion 50mm 162fl
Guide Camera: ASI 1600MM
Process Controller: laptop/w Windows 10. Cnx to mount via hardwired ethernet
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Sat May 26, 2018 1:24 pm

please provide some screenshots of your guider settings and the calibration output image showing the parallelogram. Thanks
Hamza Touhami | Site Administrator
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
phb

Sun May 27, 2018 7:54 pm

Hi Hamza,
I have several small jpeg screen grabs. Tried to insert them here but there seems to be a limit of three images. I'll send more in next msg...
phb
Attachments
AutoGuideCameraWindow.jpg
AutoGuideCameraOptions.jpg
AutoGuideCameraInfo.jpg
phb

Sun May 27, 2018 7:56 pm

Second set...
phb
Attachments
RA 1 Sec Dec 3 Sec.jpg
RA 3 Sec Dec 6 Sec.jpg
RA 3 Sec Dec 3 Sec.jpg
phb

Sun May 27, 2018 7:59 pm

Third set...
phb
Attachments
AutoGuideCalParams.jpg
RA 10 Sec Dec 20 Sec.jpg
RA 5 Sec Dec 10 Sec.jpg
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:34 pm

from the looks of it, one of these axes is reversed. I say this because you are supposed to come back to the original location. Let me investigate a little further.
Hamza Touhami | Site Administrator
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
jason

Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:13 am

I had some errors this weekend that looked alot like this, any followups @Hamza Touhami ?
edit: I tore down my cem60 and tightened up the gear meshing adjustments per a document the manufacturer gave to some folks, today's crumby polar alignment and guiding calibration was pretty much a trapezoid - so it looks like ra play was big and I just never really noticed it's significance.