Hello - new user ... questions and comments so far

Questions and answers about the best way to get started with Prism including: est hardware to use, software settings, etc..
Ron

Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:37 pm

I've had it with the lousy support for SGP. I'm tired of asking for simple requests to be sold "that's to hard".

I installed Prism after a friend recommended it. I watched most videos first. Looks nice if it works.

So I just installed and started setting up hardware, then software. As a test I fired a shot of my ASI1600MMC.
It looked very grainy and contasty (like it was 6bit or something).

I loaded a image I shot (.fit) from SGP that looks smooth and nice in Pixinsight and in sgp and this image also has a 6-8bit look that's very contrasty and noisy?
I'm sure something is set wrong - where might I change this?

ALSO - I have a complete remote control dome in my yard. I'm hoping to simplify the process (SGP, APCC, PHD2, WWT, ASCOM, POTH, cloud watcher. BIG SIGH...
To find a all in one program would be a dream. Especially with good support. SGP (when it works) is fine, but upon requesting a darker skin. (to hard). huh?
Upon asking for safety monitor to close the shutter (outside a sequence) "NOT OUR JOB MAN". - Hoping this works better as I'd love to give them the middle finger.

Ron
Last edited by Ron on Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron

Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:45 pm

Here's an example. Same shot. Left is how it looks in SGP and Pixinsight right is in Prism? Maybe it's OVERLY STRETCHED? I'll see If I can find some histogram control.
Attachments
lowbit.JPG
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:47 pm

Hi Ron and welcome to the family

PRISM is a different program from pretty much everything you have used so far and you need to get acclimated as anything else in life.

1. For the display of your images, PRISM uses "cutoffs", you can set it up here: Settings > software settings > Image display > Stellar Image type : Set the high cut to "99.5" and the low cut to "0.10". It should look better already.
2. PRISM has at least 8 skins to make it looks great in multiple ways.
3. If you hardware has drivers, which I think it does, PRISM can control it. It can control an entire observatory down turning your receptacle on and off.
Hamza Touhami | Site Administrator
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
Ron

Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:54 pm

DOH found contrast lum and "moon" present looks better. I still I want more range. I can slide the sliders... but how to I save "my settings as default?
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:57 pm

just adjust the high and low cuts until you find the setting you like, those numbers can be changed
Hamza Touhami | Site Administrator
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
Ron

Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:24 pm

I found skins right away (something I've requested of SGP) they can't seem to handle it (or don't want to).

In 15 minutes I was already ripping off shots of M13 from clicking on it in the programs planetarium to viewing images.
(IT took me a month to get that far in SGP).

Did you write this? (one man?) Are you a freak'n genuis? I mean it's extensive and how long did this take. I'm blown away.

I'm sure I can work out the issues - I'm already pointing the scope where I clicked and the dome rotated with. The REALLY COOL PART IS THE GRAPHIC showing my dome orientation and the scope orientation.

I'm pretty sure I installed the cloudwatcher. (I'm a little confused why it let me open the shutter as it says it's unsafe) but more about that later. First things first.

I'm trying to figure out how to guide. Since PHD2 has been my tool of choice. I do really like it all being included in one program.
I added my lodestar as camera 2. I see a guiding tab.

When I click start or anything I get "opop up error saying - the guiding peripheral is not open". connect it to telescope?

I'll keep exploring.

I am WILDLY excited so far.

guiding and plate solving will be important for me. Luckily - I have 79 days left!
Ron

Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:30 pm

I can't get the "cuts" to lock in. I did a shot.
(to contrasty)
Slicing the histogram controls I like how it looks around high cut reading of 1508 and low cut of -20
If I go to enter these in under settings it says they're out of range?
so how can I SAVE these? Of course - it might be in the manual! I'll look at it tomorrow, but was excited to try it while it's dark out.
Attachments
cuts.JPG
Ron

Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:35 pm

Amazed at how far I got in the first 90 minutes. Well bed time.
I'll hit it in the morning.
Attachments
gear.JPG
Ron

Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:57 am

I've spent some time with the manual and help files again. I finally sound where to enter my location. = )

My question at this point. I setup camera 2 as guider. I have never used the ST4 port? I don't have to do I? You said you did with your CVX mount. I have a AP Mach1. typically that's all handled inside/ascom. ???

but I still checked that box to use this lodestar camera for guiding? I'd like to get it set to test tonight (weather permitting). As that will be an important factor for me.

Loving it so far and every 5 min I find somethin that amazes me like... "it does that too? they thought of that!?".
Just noticed under telescope controls I can see moon and sun position. (just wow).
Ron

Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:17 am

Next question:

hardware connected, my cloud sensor (setup is good - I select my driver, I have it point to the cloudwatcher/solo folder and read the file... the driver says "looks good currently unsafe". (which it is).

So setup looks great. When hardware is connected. All connects... tab under telescope Status window for cloud sensor shows all "N/A and ??? readings". Osb conditions? (data grabbed and Now). pool device (typo? probably poll?) 10s.

One other question: I hope we can "save window positions"?
Attachments
pool.JPG
Ron

Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:55 am

Next issue. (watched the commet / plate solve video) amazing. Followed along, but my plate solve can't time to find a file/catalog?

UPDATE: I now see the UAC cat is in the download area). downloading it.
Attachments
plate.JPG
Ron

Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:16 pm

while downloading to install teh plate solve catalogs. (it doesn't like what I had).

I'm having a weird issue. I keep getting a error that says teh dome is already moving.
and it's not moving. It's homed.

It was tracking with the scope, now it doesn't move and I get the error.
any ideas?
Attachments
moving.JPG
Ron

Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:16 pm

stumped. rebooted, power cycled everything. I called up the Map and it showed it was pointing (park 3 north star). As it is... and should. I did a "SYNC" to this position. (it did) and didn't fix the graphic in the obsy ? It seems to think the dome IS ROTATING. As its message states. ??
Attachments
stumped.JPG
Ron

Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:28 pm

How to delete posts? (my last two) I solved the problem.
It says enter the mount.dome stats in M (meters) I tried that and that's what screwed it up.
erased everything but the 1.2 meter diameter... and it works normal again it appears.

Anyone using a Nexdome - what do you put for mount off sets? And is diameter 1.2 meter?
I figured it's 8ft - it wants 1/2 that so 4 foot in meters is 1.2 m

So that's solved - but another question.
I tell it to PARK and it goes into some horizontal park position. How do I set it to "home" Park3 position in PRism? Without doing it from my APCC mount sofware? I tried saving park at park3 but unparking and parking didn't bring it to position 3.

spoke to soon the mount points N with the graphic but it still thinks it's moving and it's not.
Ron

Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:59 pm

I'll try to start new posts per topic from now one. (my initial string of questions are probably done).