This guiding any good?

Questions and answers about the best way to get started with Prism including: est hardware to use, software settings, etc..
Ron

Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:02 pm

I'm only use to PHD2 - I'm use to tweaking settings, but not sure what to tweak n Prism. Well at least Im' guiding!

Took about 5-6 tries at calibration. Needed to change my numbers up to 20 like the instructions said.

BUT IS THIS ANY GOOD? My plots are in the box? Instructions example showed hits out of the box. But my total RMS is... 1.41" which in my book is poor. With PHD2 I typically guide with around .30 - .50 total RMS. (or less).

What can you tell me about this? I'm exposing for a test.

P.S. (SGP are letting me sell that program if I want to change over) = )
I can pass my license on to the buyer.

I see ADVANCED in my future... if all goes well.
Attachments
this any good.JPG
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:35 pm

well done Ron, you are up and guiding. that guiding is good since the most important numbers are the RMS in the calibration window. You can can change aggressiveness on the fly in there as well in the controls tab.
Hamza Touhami | Site Administrator
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
Ron

Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:41 am

It says .92 which is poor RMS for my mount. (PHD use to give me .3-.4)

LATER I was guiding again and it picked a smaller star. The RMS error was much lower. .33 - however the plots in the 2D pixel area were outside the box? and my test exposures had trails. ??????????????????????

I also adjusted (played with) controls settings (aggressiveness) and really found no changes in the RMS error values. I usually tweak PHD to perfection, I don't really get a grip on adjusting this.
Let me add some screen shots.

Here is a problem child. It shows RMS .39 THAT SHOULD BE GREAT - but graphs are crazy and my 2D plots are reaching way outside the pixel box? why? So it says it's GREAT, but obviously isn't. My test exposure had trails. = (

what the heck.JPG
___

Then in the info box it often would give the error/message. "move is to small, requested: 0.11,min : 0.20 pixels ??????????????

See 2nd attachment. Requested are the changes I should make? I tried changing aggressiveness and I could not make those
messages stop. It's giving me a "to small error" but it says .39 rms error which should be very good. ??????????????

movetosmall.JPG
___

I've read the manual, I watched the tutorial several times. (they are vague). They tend to point out the obvious, but not the why or how.
See 3rd attachment. The middle button is for what? It says something about LED? (when I hover over it).
also what are the white box/buttons for? Shown in 3rd attachment.

whatrthese.JPG
whatrthese.JPG (15.38 KiB) Viewed 2037 times
___

Lastly... You mention the 2D box is a pixel. But what are we looking at and what should we see or try to do?
I suspect that the red plots should be INSIDE the pixel box? The yellow line reaching outside the pixel box is not good?
and what is the BIND option?

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR SUPPORT. I look forward to making the change over to Advanced should I continue to learn it.
rottielover

Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:34 am

Ron, I am also a PHD2 guy and my hyper-tuned Orion Atlas with the PPEC algorithm in PHD2 can get me to around 1.2 or better total RMS.

I was wondering if you were able to solve these issues?

I did have one thought, the line where it's saying it requested a move and it was too small. Looks like it's using two different scales, it's requesting a move of 0.xx "Min" (assuming in arc minutes) and the mount moved 0.xx "pixels" . I'm not sure that's the case, I just started the evaluation version, but seems plausible.

Anyway, I"m in the same boat, is there some post or document or video that goes a bit more in-depth on how to "tweak" guidiing to get optimal results? I also tried out the PEC tools but got an error.