First night out with Prism. A few questions.

Questions and answers about the best way to get started with Prism including: est hardware to use, software settings, etc..
Mark_Kuehner

Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:57 pm

I had my first "Live" night using Prism last night and I came across a few issues that I have not been able to resolve and am hoping I can get some help here.

1. I have a Nitecrawler focuser/rotator and could not figure out how to sync the rotator to the actual PA of the camera. My camera is at PA 0.0 confirmed with a plate solve but the rotator says that it's at 26.6 degrees. Usually there's some place to either tell the software to sync the rotator with the plate solved PA or to enter a offset. Is there any way I can do this in Prism? Also, the focuser has a temp sensor but is seems that Prism doesn't see this or at least I don't know where to go to set this up. I would like to get temperature compensation working but I'm stuck here.

2. I have a ASI071MMC-Pro camera and was using the Native driver in Prism but during the night I had dew form on the sensor. After some investigating it seems that the native driver does not support the built in anti-dew heater built into the camera. When I switched back to the Ascom driver, I was able to check the box to turn it on and the dew then cleared up. Not sure if the dew heater isn't supported in the native driver or I just don't know where to go to activate it. Any ideas?

All in all it was a very good night and I'm really impressed by this software. It kept good focus and my guiding was excellent all night long. Still trying to figure out full frame guiding but I'll save that for another night.

Mark
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:53 pm

my apologies for the delay Mark.

1. It should be on the driver that you can force the angle and PRISM will just query and comply. I will test tonight as we have one as well.
2. your instinct is correct; it is a driver issue. Let's start with the obvious one here, can you please update the native drive first. The ASCOM driver is quite competent as well and if it fixes your issue, i'd continue using it.
Hamza Touhami | Site Administrator
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:54 pm

super happy yo know that your first night out was successful, let's make sure we keep your successful and imaging :D
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
Mark_Kuehner

Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:56 pm

It should be on the driver that you can force the angle and PRISM will just query and comply. I will test tonight as we have one as well.
I looked in the driver settings but I don't see any where to set the angle. It's supposed to be clear tomorrow night and I think I'll just give my target a PA 0f 90 and see if Prism can figure it out.

One other issue that I'm having with the Nitecrawler is that Prism doesn't report the temperature readout. Is this not supported in the software? It works in all other programs. Would be nice to get this working.

Mark
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:16 pm

we have been clouded out, I will test tonight and post a screenshot of what we have
Hyperion-Astronomy.com