Absolute Beginner with Prism

Questions and answers about the best way to get started with Prism including: est hardware to use, software settings, etc..
SteveP

Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:06 am

Hello

I have downloaded a trial version of Prism Pro and installed it on a Windows 10 laptop. I've already managed to connect my mount (Gemini controlled MI250); my filter wheel (Apogee AF50) and my focuser (FLI Atlas). But I'm struggling with my imaging camera (SX H36) and my guide camera (SX Lodestar).

I can connect the H36 by itself (following your Quick Start Guide) by firstly setting the details of the camera in Hardware Settings as Camera #1 and connecting by clicking on the Camera 1 icon. But after I'd repeated the same process of setting up the Lodestar in Hardware Settings as Camera #2 and then clicking on the Camera 2 icon, I get an error message which says

"Starlight Xpress Camera error - Several Starlight cameras have been detected Go to camera set up tab to define which camera to connect".

I don't know what iis meant by Camera Set-up tab other than the one in Hardware Settings. What am I doing wrong and how do I get Prism to recognise the H36 as the imaging camera and the Lodestar as the guider? I've checked the manual but couldn't find an explanation of this.

Also, how does Prism handle the settings in the Ascom driver Gemini.net? For example, the Gemini settings have safety limits on the mount for slewing, tracking etc. And yet these don't appear to be being used by Prism. Is that correct or do I also have to set the safety limits in Prism?

Thanks

Steve
Attachments
Screenshot (2).png
rottielover

Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:20 am

Hi Steve,

I'm not familiar with that equipment myself but I have two ZWO camera's and the native driver for ZWO camera's has issues with having more than one at a time. So I ended up using the ASCOM driver for my guider and the native driver for my imaging camera.

That error is trying to point you to the Camera setup screen, click the Gear Icon at the top one to the left of the main imaging camera icon to open Hardware Setup. Go to the last Option for Camera's, click the Setup button for camera 2. At the bottom right of this window there should be a Camera Selection button (depending on the driver, but if you use the ASCOM driver this is the button that shows up. Clicking that button will get you to the driver settings for the camera's you can then make sure you select your guide camera and it's settings there.

As to the mount, I think that depends on the driver. My understanding is that prism isn't directly controlling the mount, rather it's controlling the mount by sending commands to the driver of the mount. SO any saftey limits etc are controlled via your mounts driver. For example, I use an Orion Atlas with EQMod and I setup all my limits and meridian flip information using EQMOD, then Prism commands the mount through EQMOD and EQMOD is what handles any limits or flips.

Hope that helps out somewhat. I'm sure someone with more familiarity with your gear will come along soon.
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:50 pm

you should connect the imaging camera with the ASCOM driver and the guider with the native driver in PRISM. This typically fixes the issue
Hamza Touhami | Site Administrator
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
SteveP

Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:38 am

Apologies for not getting back to you earlier and thanks for the advice.

The suggested solution sort of works but not completely, It required me to unplug one camera before linking to the second camera and only then plug the first camera in and link it. That's not a practical solution longer term. See my second thread Error Message. I've explained in there what I had to do to remove the problem and how it could be replicated. Imo, there's a more fundamental problem which the developers could do with looking at.
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:41 pm

It is a known issue unfortunately, the PRISM dev is actually discussing this matter with ZWO. I will advise on the fix. The solution I provided is the best I found, myself, to work around. It is not ideal, a more permanent fix needs to be found.
Hamza Touhami | Site Administrator
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
SteveP

Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:20 am

Hi Hamza

My particular issue is with two Starlight Xpress cameras - a Lodestar and a H-36 - but it seems to be very similar to the known ZWO issue, ie failing to distinguish between two cameras from the same manufacturer. When the ZWO issue is resolved, can you check that it also apples to SX cameras?

Thanks