Slew to plate solve image location

Questions and answers about the best way to get started with Prism including: est hardware to use, software settings, etc..
caober

Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:29 pm

After a few months of problems, I'm finally trying to get back to using Prism. I can't seem to figure out how to direct the scope to move to the position of a plate solved image from a previous night's image. I don't see Data Connect in the context menu of the star map like I used to. Version 10.3.61.492
rottielover

Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:43 am

Hey that's an interesting one that I had not thought about before. Up till now I have been using the skymap to select an object in order to get centering coordinates.

So the workflow you want to do is open a prior image, plate solve it, then have Prism slew the mount to the center pixel coordinates of that image?

Sounds like something I've seen in one of the option menus at some-point, I'll have to look for this tonight when I'm out imaging again.
caober

Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:57 am

That is correct. I use the coordinates reported by software and other sources as a starting point only and decide the exact position based on how I think it will look best in the frame along with other elements that may be in the image.

rottielover wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:43 am
Hey that's an interesting one that I had not thought about before. Up till now I have been using the skymap to select an object in order to get centering coordinates.

So the workflow you want to do is open a prior image, plate solve it, then have Prism slew the mount to the center pixel coordinates of that image?

Sounds like something I've seen in one of the option menus at some-point, I'll have to look for this tonight when I'm out imaging again.
rottielover

Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:00 am

I have to setup the simulators on my machine to test, but I did find something that might help you.

If you right click a point in the skychart you can "Add this point to the Object's List [OBL], that way you could get the coords of the exact point you want and even run the Auto Observation off that etc.

If you use the CNTRL+U platesove (also can do "Analysis, Plate solve, Single Image"), after you open one up, that should get the coords imbedded into the image. The command I am not sure about is after that right clicking and there is a "Sync telescope position with the image's center pixel"... However "sync" in many contexts usually means to "overwrite" the position that the scope thinks it's at with the new position, IE when you platesolve to find the actual point of where the scope is pointing then a "sync" is performed to update the mount driver to the RA/DEC of where it actually is instead of where it thinks it is.

This could be a translation thing, which is why I wanted to test this with the telescope simulator driver. I'm going to work on this after work and see.
rottielover

Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:29 am

Found it!

Open a sub (something that already has the coords imbedded into the FITS header), if not plate solve as I talked about.

Go to EDIT, Edit Header Information, click on the Plate solve / Photometry tab , next to the RA/DEC is a button labeled "GO!" this will point the scope to the image center pixel.
caober

Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:29 am

Hamza was kind enough to make a video that helped me with the exact sequence. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vuk2dt ... e=youtu.be
With the current version, the steps are slightly different compared to the video but it's similar enough.

The basic steps are:
Plate solve an image from a previous night
Right click the star chart and select Embed Image - Merge image into Sky Map
Select the image to embed
From that, you can right click on any point in the image and select Copy RA/DEC.
For my use, the center of the image is designated by a red + and I would use that point to copy or slew to.

Hamza's video does a much better job of explaining than I do. Note, the Data Connect option is not available in the version I'm using, 10.3.61.492, and was apparently renamed to Embed Image. "Copy RA/DEC" is also a new wording compared to the video.
caober

Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:27 pm

Brilliant! Nice find...
rottielover wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:29 am
Found it!

Open a sub (something that already has the coords imbedded into the FITS header), if not plate solve as I talked about.

Go to EDIT, Edit Header Information, click on the Plate solve / Photometry tab , next to the RA/DEC is a button labeled "GO!" this will point the scope to the image center pixel.