Hardware issue with Orion StarShoot guide camera

Hardware and software setups, autoguiding and plate solving parameters, etc..
Alnitak

Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:11 pm

I was hoping I'd be able to get through the hardware configuration with no issues but I'm stumped at this point. I can't seem to get the software to recognize my Orion StarShoot Guide camera.
I've tried troubleshooting camera and cables by connecting to PHD2 with no issues.
I've selected ASCOM Camera in the "Select CCD Camera" window and then click on the "Camera Selection" button and the ASCOM Camera Chooser window pops up. The Orion StarShoot camera is not in the list. The only cameras listed are ASI Camera 1, 2, Camera V2 Simulator and Simulator.
E.S. 127mm ED, SV70T, Celestron CGX, ZWO ASI1600mm w/ Baader LRGB Ha OIII SII filters, Orion 50mm guide scope with S.S.A.G.

“The brain is like a muscle. When it is in use we feel very good. Understanding is joyous.” - Carl Sagan
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:37 am

Good morning Alnitak

Can you please redownload the ASCOM driver here and install it.I have just done that and found the camera in the ASCOM dropdown menu as shown in the image. Maybe downloading it again will do the trick :) .
Attachments
SSAG.PNG
Hamza Touhami | Site Administrator
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
Alnitak

Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:19 pm

I've finally had a chance to test things again today. I did as you requested and reloaded the drivers for the Orion camera. After launching Prism I was happy to see the Orion camera in the dropdown list. Everything seemed to be going fine but then when I attempt to connect to the camera I now get a new error popup.
See the message below.

After messing around with that for a while I decided to just skip it and run the Flats Wizard. I thought I'd give the 64bit version a try for processing since the popup recommends the 32bit version for telescope and camera control. When I attempted to launch the 64bit version I got another error popup. See below.

When I click the OK button it goes to this screen and gets stuck in a loop.
The only way to clear this screen is to Ctrl/Alt/Dlt to the task manager and kill the process.

Suggestions?
E.S. 127mm ED, SV70T, Celestron CGX, ZWO ASI1600mm w/ Baader LRGB Ha OIII SII filters, Orion 50mm guide scope with S.S.A.G.

“The brain is like a muscle. When it is in use we feel very good. Understanding is joyous.” - Carl Sagan
Alnitak

Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:24 pm

I've managed to solve the Orion auto-guider camera issue. Besides downloading the recommended ASCOM driver for the camera, Orion also had another driver file that I downloaded. Now the program is recognizing the guider camera with no problem.

The other issue with the 64bit version of the program not launching and locking up is still there though.

Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:34 pm

Hi again

The 64bit issue is a small one in a way that it will be fixed in the upcoming update. We constantly work around operating systems changes to make sure your use of Prism remains consistent and pleasant.

Thanks for the report.
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
Alnitak

Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:43 pm

I just wanted to report on my last attempt to get everything working on my rig in the field.
After the issues described above with the Orion guider, I thought everything was ready for a real-world test. Alas, I was wrong.
I had one chance a few nights ago to get out to a dark sky location and test everything. It all appeared to be working fine when I started it up. All of the hardware connected ok, I started up the guide camera and the main camera, all connected ok. I then tried to run a simple automatic observation plan of acquiring several different targets. The scope was two star aligned first and I had focused the camera manually using a different program using a Bahtinov mask because I wasn't sure how the autofocus feature with Prism and my Moonlight focuser was going to work. As I was afraid of, it appeared to move and find the first target and even plate solve it. Then it started the autofocus feature and the focuser just took off. It appeared to be going all the way to the zero position which would have been all the way IN. My setup obtains focus very close to all the way OUT so there is no way it would have found anything. I stopped the program and tried adjusting the current setting of the focuser back to where it would at least see stars, even out of focus a bit. It did the same thing again. Finally, it failed with a moonlight encoder error message. I'm not sure if that was caused by my tinkering with the software or not. After attempting to get everything to work for about 4 hours I had to give up and go back to my old simple program, SharpCap, doing everything manually. I'd really like to make this work but without any hands-on experience and someone that can tell me in real time what I'm doing wrong I think the software is not going to work for me. I do appreciate the extended trial period as I still have around 60 days left but with work schedule, I'll probably only get one or two more opportunities during that time frame and I'm not sure if I want to spend several precious hours fighting the software again.

Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:46 pm

Hi Alnitak

You only need to know this, I am here to help you. I will contact you through a PM to discuss a more personalized approach. You're almost there, just needed a little push over.

See ya in a bit.
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
Alnitak

Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:34 pm

I really appreciate that. I have such limited time under dark skies I'd really like to get this working. I know all of the problems I've had up to this point are operator error and not software related. I just don't understand the errors I'm getting enough to know what to change. I really love the interface.

Greg ~

Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:37 pm

Greg

Just give me a time and date and we can fix this easily.

Thanks.
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
beercia

Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:11 pm

I’ve had a similar issue but with Starlight Express Lodestar X2. Prism does not connect to the autoguider giving me an connection error message like “AO Starlight Express not connecting due to RS232 port 1 not found”. This appears to be Prism10 related since when I use PHD2 to connect there is no problem and it works perfectly. What gives?
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:43 am

No, PRISM would not just try to connect to an Adaptive Optics unit unless told to do so. Can you please turn on your log, reproduce this operation and send me the resulting log. I wanna get to the bottom of this for the sake of information.

Thanks.

P.S: Let me know if I can assist you with the log part.
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
beercia

Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:00 am

Yes HAMZA please let me kniw to use the log. I won’t be at my observatory until later this week so I will have to wait for awhile in order to use it.