SBIG FW7-STX filter wheel problems

Hardware and software setups, autoguiding and plate solving parameters, etc..
ansollee

Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:43 pm

Seeking advise and help on connecting sbig fw7-stx filter wheel to Prism. filter wheel is attached to SBIG 6303 (NOT E) ccd. Running Win10 pro. Thanks.
Cyril Cavadore
Site Admin

Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:45 pm

To help, we need :

- Prism version (all digits)
- Prism's Log file
- screen copies (relevant)
- video capture (either using TeamViewer or NCH http://www.nchsoftware.com/capture/index.html)

Another hint, from SBIG-CYANOGEN (that is a competitor) we will have NO support whatsoever to allow the best integration of their products into PRISM. They aim avoiding any other software than their, to be able to run their hardware properly.
Like Software Bisque does, by the way.
We cannot also purchase this item, this is too expensive, especially attached to a STX camera.
I had very good relations with Alan Holmes (Former SBIG CEO), in the past and he helped me a lot. Now thinks have unfortunately dramatically changed, and I will not even get a reply from any of my emails if I'm asking anything about their hardware and support to a third party software like Prism.
Proof of that : no driver ASCOM is available, No SDK (allowing third party software to be able to run these produyct) can be found in their web site.
Fortunately, there are now many many other camera and filter wheel suppliers, that are helping us with :
- providing good SDK
- giving on loan or forever their product, to be able to do test.
- quick reply or reply to emails.

I must say that around me (and this is vast) I haven't seen a new SBIG camera and accessoiries beeing purchased by customer or friend fro many years. Guess why...
So I cannot even borrow these item from anyone. Also all reseller here, have stopped seeling SBIG product, so I cannot expect anything from them also as loan for testing.

So the resolution of this issue can be tedious, I prefer to be frank.

Cyril
Cyril Cavadore
Principal Prism Author,
Alcor-System
www.alcor-system.com