Getting camera parameters from plate solve

Hardware and software setups, autoguiding and plate solving parameters, etc..
uwman57

Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:39 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to set up prism with my imaging system, which uses an ATIK490EX OSC camera. Mostly everything works well. But, when I try to setup the camera by getting parameters from a plate-solved image, I get the error message "Image must be of CCD origin and must be plate solved." I get this message if I use the Bayer matrix image, and also if I de-Bayer and convert to B&W (both types of image can be plate solved). Is this because I'm using a OSC, instead of monochrome? Is there a work-around?
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:15 pm

Hi, Please upload these files to a file sharing system and give me a link please. I will try on my end.
Hamza Touhami | Site Administrator
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
uwman57

Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:23 pm

Hamza,

Thanks for your help. Try this link. Should be three .fits files: direct output from camera, debayered, and debayered and flattened to a monochrome image.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mij3nvs45fvs ... P8ZAa?dl=0
Terestron

Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:38 am

What was the result? I was getting same error.
uwman57

Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:46 am

I never heard back from Hamza.
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:58 am

Good morning

Please accept my apologies, I am having major issues with this forum's notification system. We are doing something about this and will be greatly improved very soon.

First, I have successfully plate solved all three just now and PRISM finds over 20,000 stars in the images. What is the step right before you try to plate solve? are you using another tool just before that?
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
uwman57

Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:32 am

Hi Hamza,

Thanks for checking in.

My problem is not with the plate-solving; I can plate solve them also. The issue is when I try to use the plate solved image to get the camera data in the Hardware setup>Cameras>Camera #1. Clicking Setup Camera#1 I get the Acquisition properties [Camera #1] page. I checked "ATIK or ARTEMIS camera (all models)" on the right, and the camera works fine for imaging.

The problem is when I try to use the "Get data from plate solved image" button on the left. When I press that button, I get a list of all the open images. I select one that I've plate solved, via it's check box. Then click OK. I always get the error message "Image must come from a CCD image origin, and must be plate solved."
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:42 am

Alright, that explains PRISM's behavior then. It is trying to tell you that the image was taken from a camera that is different than the model/make you are setting up. I am assuming this is the case?
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:44 am

and no, having an OSC or mono has no effect on this, it is simply trying to say that the fits headers and the equipment you're trying to set are different. If they are the same and you get the error anyway, it would be a bug that needs to be resolved.
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
uwman57

Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:11 pm

Then it's a bug. The image was taken from the Atik490 that I am trying to set up. As I said, the camera works and I can collect images with it. I'm just trying to get the data out of the image and into Prism. I have examined the FITS header, and all the information in there is correct, and specific to the camera/telescope system.

Given the nature of the error message, either Prism doesn't think that the image came from a CCD, or Prism doesn't think the image is plate solved. Neither thing is true.
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:14 pm

understood, I have your images and we will examine this. One thing to note: you could very easily enter this information about your imaging train manually when you setup the cameras, focal length being of cardinal importance here.
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
uwman57

Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:19 pm

Which I have done. Since I plate solve the images, I get the focal length etc. which I have entered manually. It's just that this took me a while to figure out. Presumably the developer was trying to eliminate that energy barrier with the "get data from plate-solved image," so it would be nice if it worked. Not trying to be argumentative, just following up. Apparently one other person has the same concern.
Terestron

Wed May 02, 2018 5:08 am

Yes!

I am using a Starlight Xpress and get the same error. Also when I plate solve sometimes it shows my focal length at 1599mm, sometimes 1600mm, and sometimes at 1610mm. and yes it is the same setup, same filter, maybe focus changed a little. Not sure if how close the focal ratio has to be to affect performance results.
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Wed May 02, 2018 3:56 pm

Having a 1 mm difference falls within the centroid and star catalog uncertainty :) , it is nothing to worry about to be honest.
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Wed May 02, 2018 3:57 pm

uwman57 wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:19 pm
Which I have done. Since I plate solve the images, I get the focal length etc. which I have entered manually. It's just that this took me a while to figure out. Presumably the developer was trying to eliminate that energy barrier with the "get data from plate-solved image," so it would be nice if it worked. Not trying to be argumentative, just following up. Apparently one other person has the same concern.
Nothing to worry about and I am thankful you guys are actually pointing out what you consider as abnormalities. PRISM exceeded 1 million lines of code last year, it is a drastic effort to keep everything inline as well as keep track of all the changing variables including Windows itself.
Hyperion-Astronomy.com