Some setup issues...?

Hardware and software setups, autoguiding and plate solving parameters, etc..
Ron

Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:13 am

several issues.

1. At first dome worked great - I must have configured something differently? It now says ROTATING (all the time) and errors that it's in motion. (when it's not) and will not rotate at all. Open and close / shutter work.

(I'm back UPDATE: booted today and dome rotation looks fine). Only change is I'm using remote desktop instead of Teamview. I ran Prism (as admin), I let Prism run apcc/mount. (previously I used team viewer, did not run as admin and pre-loaded apcc before Prism. (as per instructions in another thread on here).
Loaded and worked fine again after that (but I'm running Pro) I'll try advanced again.

2. Guiding would not calibrate, said it didn't move enough. (change step amount where?) I tried in the guiding calibration dialog but didn't help. I saw a guiding video lesson, but wasn't of any help. It only showed the basics and not really the setup.

3. Is the GSC/GCS? catalog included in the install? it would not plate solve using this says it can't find it. I did install two other catalogs and plate solving works with them. But what of this catalog that the videos say is included? (I don't want unused catalogs on my drive wasting space). they are huge.

4. I could power off and on my setup without ever losing my pointing position. ALWAYS dead on. Since using this my pointing position is always lost. I read somewhere (another thread I now can't find even doing a APCC search) that Prism calls APCC from a driver? and it doesn't work right. (loses its location in the sky). I think this is my problem in this issue. Also when I park, in prism it's not part3? And when I unpark, APCC and Prism are both saying the scope is pointing in different places.

5. IS there any way to see what filter I have in the camera? SGP has a nice "graphic of a filter" it appears as a RED or BLUE or GREEN LARGE CIRCLE. (or a LARGE Circle with Ha or SII or OIII in it. I can set it in PRism, and it appears to change. But it's not really evident which filter is in use The check mark is hard to see on my high res desktop, and it never really says what is actually loaded (am I missing this somewhere ?)
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:08 pm

1. It is sometimes "evident" PRISM is doing something wrong but it almost is never the case. In doubt, use the POTH driver and enable logging to see exactly what is going on with your dome controller.
2. If your steps come out around less than 1 pixel that probably means you setup your guiding ST4 which might not be the case
3. GSC-ACT is included and Is located in your install folder. I have USNO and UCAC4 on my site
4. PRISM needs to cover everyone's needs even people with now ascot or park() command, hence why you need to tell it where to go. PRISM only tells your mount where to go and your driver takes it from there.
5. The filterwheel control window is quite evident, it calls whatever filter YOU have listed when you set it up.
Hamza Touhami | Site Administrator
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
Ron

Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:24 am

2. If your steps come out around less than 1 pixel that probably means you setup your guiding ST4 which might not be the case

This is the confusing part. I see some reference to this and some check boxed. The wording is not real clear when I read them (does this mean it's ST4 on or off?) I'm reading the manual today and will see if these are addressed. I do not want to use a ST4 cable/interface on the guide camera.
But it's not clear if I have it configured correctly.
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:54 pm

who you get the resulting parallelogram from the calibration step, please post an image here as well as the table that shows the direction and distance.
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
Ron

Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:02 am

As you requested

I also have had some strange things happen. Some errors. Once the program crashed. Upon reloading it could not find my horizon file. (it was there) but somehow the PATH was changed?

Now after the dome got hung up again (in another post) stick in rotating mode). I depowered everything and powering up my location is missing (went back to Apache point) default? Entering my data in again and again could get old.

rectangle.JPG
Ron

Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:06 pm

entered my location "DATE AND PLACE" again.
It will not allow my elevation to stick. I can type it in, but next time I open it - it's apache elevation.

So I enter in my location - LAT AND LONG again. I go mow the lawn. when I came back (I left the program running). Guess what my location was. Apache with its lat and long.

I still can not get the map to allow telescope control due to it saynig it's not current date/time.

UPDATE: I played with it - I did a "ADD" and created my location and it seems to be correct now. (but will it stay)? Before I edited the fields with the correct date. This time I added to the location database and selected it.
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:47 pm

when a crash happens, the skychart that opens is the default one. All you have to do is close that one and open a new one.
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
Ron

Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:20 pm

you didn't read or answer anything I asked = ( I didn't ask about a crash.
Thats ok, I've worn out my welcome. = (
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:22 pm

All your issues I will address and more, I just don't want this forum to stray like other ones do. I would like to stay objective so I can help you the most efficient way. I even offer remote help when people need it. You are more welcome here than anywhere else, I appreciate the lengthy reports and the animation.
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:24 pm

Ron wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:20 pm
you didn't read or answer anything I asked = ( I didn't ask about a crash.
Thats ok, I've worn out my welcome. = (
incorrect.
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
Ron

Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:32 pm

so my rectangle above?
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:54 pm

your rectangle is fine and that should calibrate correctly. typically, when the circles join at the end means that your system is calibrated properly and you have minimal backlash
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
Ron

Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:41 pm

I had some major problems. I reinstalled Prism and Ascom and they seem to be settled down at least for now. (drivers were saying not installed and more).
I'm wondering if I botched my install because it asks to update, but then my virus checker made it spit up on the update. I said ignore but I don't think it continued and installed right.
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:27 pm

it is quite a problem to delete files it "thinks" are viruses when we scan PRISM with 70 different antivirus programs ourselves and it comes out clean, of course
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
Ron

Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:27 am

More of windows greatness! Prism was super stable at first (day) everything went crazy and made no sense. This could be due to the crash which corrupted something. I'll work on that today and will figure that all my craziness has been due to corrupted data.