Calibrating guider

Hardware and software setups, autoguiding and plate solving parameters, etc..
dhavalbbhatt

Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:17 am

Hi all,
I am really struggling to set up calibration for my guider and will really appreciate any help at this time.

Some background:
I originally had a SBIG ST-i guide camera. I had it calibrated initially, however, a user error (instead of clicking on "Start" button, I hit the "Calibrate" button). Ever since that day, I have not been able to calibrate the guider. I always keep getting the message to either check the cables or increase the time to move the mount in RA and DEC. As you can imagine, I have tried both and nothing has worked. I have even changed my guide camera and now use a ZWO ASI174MM-mini camera as the guide camera.

I can obviously get everything to work using PHD2, but can't get the system calibrated in Prism.

I should say, I am using Prism Advanced.

Short of reinstalling the application (which I really don't want to do), can someone please help me with what is actually going wrong.

Also, please note, I have followed Hamza's video tutorials to the tee to get guiding working.

As a result of me not being able to guide using Prism, I have not been using it at all and I am not liking that at all.

Thanks,
Dhaval
dhavalbbhatt

Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:23 am

No response? Do you guys need more information? I'd be willing to supply it.

Thanks,
Dhaval
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:49 am

Hi Dhaval

I need :

- the calibration parallelogram that you get, as in I need the image you get.
- I need to know what size subframe are you using in the calibration
- I need to know the amount of movement you are using in seconds
- Are you using an ST-4 cable or ASCOM pulseguide.
Hamza Touhami | Site Administrator
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
dhavalbbhatt

Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:42 pm

Hamza,
Attached are the files that you requested.

Thanks,
Dhaval
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 8.58.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 8.55.17 PM.png
Vkagnihotri

Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:19 am

Hello

It looks problematic.... :roll:

Just try to do guide calibration on known star like Vega or so, choose star manually every time using red cross bars till calibration finish, and see if it comes real parallelogram.

btw..you did correct..first calibrate then hit start tab,

Regards
Vikrant
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:13 am

this looks like the RA direction is reversed in the last movement. Can you please check the driver. Also, please increase the calibration times to 10s for each axis.
Hamza Touhami | Site Administrator
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
dhavalbbhatt

Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:33 am

RA direction is reversed? How do I check for that - is there a specific thing in the driver that I need to look for?

BTW, thanks for the update!

Thanks,
Dhaval
dhavalbbhatt

Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:44 pm

One other thing Hamza, about RA direction being reversed - the mount calibrates fine using PHD, so I don't believe I should have an issue with RA direction being reversed.

I might try a different part of the sky - however, I was following the method that you've outlined in the tutorial to the tee.

Lastly, do you believe that this is a remenant from an older calibration and if so, is there a way that I can either remove the older config files or maybe completel remove Prism and all associated files and reinstall the software?

Thanks,
Dhaval