Custom Horizon setup instructions?

Hardware and software setups, autoguiding and plate solving parameters, etc..
rottielover

Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:25 am

Hello,

I was looking through the manual but I could not find instructions on how to build the file that tells Prism what my horizon is at a given location. (I'm a mobile imager and need to use the site database to change locations when I move, hence my GPS device question in another thread).

Can someone tell me how to do this?
Alternative? - I was watching the tutorial video about how to have prizm build your pointing model automatically, if it's not able to plate solve from a point will it assume obstructed horizon??

Thanks!
rottielover

Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:40 pm

Here is one way of doing this that I just figured out.

Get the phone app Observer Pro (it costs a few bucks and has been more than worth it over the years for me, lets me think of targets in strange places) Anyway, get that app and setup your site in there, an map your sight's horizon in the app (there are instructions in the app). using the phone's camera. Then you can email yourself (again all through the app) your site's horizon file. This file will be {SITE NAME}.hzn

Copy it to your prizm computer and put it where you can find it again. Open the file with your favorite text editor and do a Replace, replace the comma ( , ) with a space ( ) Save the file.
Rename the file from {SITE NAME}.HZN to {SITE NAME}.PRF

Load your PRF into Prism by going into the Sky Chart Settings (I right clicked and went to settings), go to the General Display tab, and at the bottom uncheck the box that says "Horizon without profile", check the box above it that says "Display Skyline File" and then click the define button, browse to and select your new {SITE NAME}.PRF and click OK. You're done!

Do not forget to replace the comma with a SPACE or it will not work.