[SOLVED]Overlay different camera FOV’s ?

Hardware and software setups, autoguiding and plate solving parameters, etc..
rottielover

Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:04 pm

Is it possible to visualize your various camera fields of view at the same time from platesolved images?

I’ve always been curious as to what my main camera “see’s” vs what my guider is looking at, and now with Prism Advanced my DSLR that’s piggybacked onto my scope.

I know you can setup one FOV display via the Skymap, is it possible to say, take an image from each camera and then incorporate them into the skymap and thus visualize the different FOV’s ?

My goal is to have the DSLR take widefield in the area of a main target at around 250 to 300 mm FL. My main scope is 670mm FL with the reducer on, without 980mm. The guidesciope I’m only curious about. Mainly I want to make sure I have my DSLR centered on the main scope target.
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:31 am

yes, absolutely you can, it is under sky chart > CCD/Telescope, check the attached image. Just set your gear's info and PRISM will display both for you
Attachments
skychart FOV.png
Hamza Touhami | Site Administrator
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
rottielover

Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:28 pm

Oh my goodness this is SO AWESOME!!!

Couple of quick follow up questions now that I'm all depressed (we're having a thunderstorm in my area tonight and the forecast is for solid clouds for at least the next 8 days).

I figured out if you check the box for "User Defined CCD" that unlocks the "User CCD Guiding" boxes that allow you to enter your guide camera specs, I assume that the "Distance (mm)" box is for the offset of the guidescope? Do I need to measure this from the center of the main scope to the center of the guidescope to get this number?

Finally, on CCD field #2, I assume the RA and DEC shift tell prism where to the put the center of the box. How would I go about calculating those numbers? Do I need to obtain an image from both the main camera and the #2 camera, plate solve them both, import them into the sky map and then use the measure function?

You guys rock, this is the best software I've used yet once we got it working :)