[SOLVED]Speed up star extraction?

Hardware and software setups, autoguiding and plate solving parameters, etc..
rottielover

Fri May 10, 2019 8:23 pm

Platesolving is is very fast, but the part that is slowing me down is the star extraction part. It's taking nearly a full minute.

"Amount of stars extracted from image, 1st pass 42186, 2nd pass 1496, computation time : 58.02 sec"

Is there any tips/tricks for speeding up that part of the process? If so my platesolving would be lightning fast.
Last edited by rottielover on Tue May 28, 2019 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
rottielover

Fri May 17, 2019 11:02 am

I have not had any more issues with this in my last 2 sessions. I increased the exposure times for these plate solves from 10 sec to 30 sec, and now they extract and solve within seconds.

While on the front end it seems like more time since you're increasing the exposure time an extra 20 seconds, it's really saving me 40 seconds of the software struggling to extract the stars from my "bad" image I handed it.

Hope this helps someone in the future.
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Wed May 22, 2019 9:56 am

PRISM will try and extract all the stars on your image to provide an assurance that it will find the enough stars to center properly. One has to remember that it also needs to understand what the background is and also need a good SNR. If the image is clean, and the background can be easily extracted,it will do it very quickly.

Suggestions:
  • Cool down the camera
  • ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS Bin for plate solving even if you have a color camera.
Hamza Touhami | Site Administrator
Hyperion-Astronomy.com