Star Catalog Path Issues

Hardware and software setups, autoguiding and plate solving parameters, etc..
Joe in Mobile

Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:30 am

Hi Everyone.

New member to Prism Pro. Seems like I am having typical growing pains here. I have tried dl ucac 3x and it always says it is done but when I go to unzip it says the folder is empty. Gave up on that for now. D/l usno 2 and I get the file usnoa2 rar. I put it in prism and no go with set up in path. I tried it even a desktop location and no go. I have read the pdf and read forums but I am defeated on this. ;) Any help would be appreciated. I knew this software would have a steep curve but I know it will be ok in the future, it is just working thru the issues. It looks so easy to do until I try. ;)

Joe in Mobile
rottielover

Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:33 am

Hi Joe,

Sorry I have been away from the forums for a bit and just saw this.

Honestly I've been using the Guide Star Catalog (GSC) that comes built-in with Prism and have had no issues with it after I got my Focal Length and such correctly entered.

I think by default this one should load with the prism install to your Program Files directory \ Prism Directory\GSC-ACT\ That last "\" on the end I think is required for any of them, might be what's going on for you.
Joe in Mobile

Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:43 pm

Thanks for the reply. So I have a follow up question. I was able to d/l the USNO A2 catalog from the Newcastle observatory website as I could not after 4x attempting to d/l the catalog thru the hyperion website. So I set up a desk top folder and extracted the catalog to it and then set the path to it, the result was a disaster. What happened was I was looking at the skychart (no equipment attached) just to try and I selected a nebula and as I zoomed in the skychart just had the spinning blue circle. It was so bad I exited and closed the program multiple times and when I reopened it back up the same skychart was still spinning away. I even let it go overbite to no avail. I had to uninstall and reload the program. I am sure it was an operator error but it is not one I want to repeat. SO FINALLY to the question. ;) Should I create a usno a2 folder in prism and then extract it? I thought the purpose was to help with plate solving and skychart? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joe in Mobile
rottielover

Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:38 pm

I'm going to have to defer to @Hamza Touhami on this one. I've only really used the GSC for what I need to do.