Cardinal points

This section is dedicated to any skychart discussion
spectrasouth

Cardinal points

Post by spectrasouth » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:58 pm

So far one of my least favourite parts of PRISM is Skychart, mainly because I'm not yet familiar with it and also because I've not found a way to easily (a button click) select which cardinal point of the sky I want to face, i.e. N, S, E or W. Can this be done?

Cheers,
Bernard

spectrasouth

Re: Cardinal points

Post by spectrasouth » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:19 am

Oops! I just discovered how to select a N,S,E or W view... via the right click, Horizon function.

Bernard

Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Post by Hamza Touhami » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:33 pm

Bernard,

You can also click and drag on the chart to make it move any any direction. Also, the first option when you right click on it is "Center".

Thanks
Hamza Touhami | Site Administrator
Hyperion-Astronomy.com

DarkSky OnDemand

Post by DarkSky OnDemand » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:18 am

Maybe this isn't the correct topic to discuss the subject, but how is Meridian Flip handled in Prism? I know that's a big open-ended question - maybe it's better answered with a 5 minute video tutorial? ( Hamza: put that on your list of things to do :roll: )

Thanks in advance!
Dark Skies and Phenomenal Seeing!

- Ed

DarkSky OnDemand
https://darkskyondemand.com

DarkSky OnDemand

Post by DarkSky OnDemand » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:19 am

Or you could just point me at the menu/form where it's handled and I can probably figure it out - once I get more caffeine!

- Ed

DarkSky OnDemand

Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Post by Hamza Touhami » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:10 pm

Hello

This one spicy subject that comes up time and time again, i think a video is worth putting up as you pointed up. Keep in mind that Prism just tells the mount where to go, it does not do a meridian flip per se. Let use the example of your EQ8: if you set the limit in EQMOD to the zenith ( Meridian), all you have to tell Prism in the automatic observation is to stop imaging 5 minutes before the meridian ( put -5 ) and wait on the other side 5 minutes passed the meridian (put +5 ). Since EQMOD was told the limit is the meridian, when Prism tells it to go and wait 5 minutes passed this point, EQMOD performs the meridian flip "automagically".

Once my setup is ready to go ( Undergoing heavy testing as we speak), i will make a lot of thematic and focused videos to demonstrate the power of Prism. You guys are more than welcome to suggest topics.
Hyperion-Astronomy.com

spectrasouth

Post by spectrasouth » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:39 pm

While you can use the mouse to click and shift the map view is not 'live', or real time, as in Patrick's other brilliant CdC (or in TheSky), i.e., the mouse creates an arrow that will show the direction and amount of map view change that will happen next. The fact that the map view doesn't change as you move the mouse is not very intuitive or satisfactory, at least for me.

Cheers,
Bernard

DarkSky OnDemand

Post by DarkSky OnDemand » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:50 am

Bernard, I found the click drag a little cumbersome as well, but then I realized it's best to consider that feature secondary to [ctrl]-scrollwheel to easily zoom out a little, then center (right click) and scroll-zoom right back in on your area of interest. I only use the drag move to change the sky chart view a tiny bit if needed. In fact I rarely use it at all. I find the scroll zoom much more useful... imho.

- Ed

DarkSky OnDemand

spectrasouth

Post by spectrasouth » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:33 pm

Thanks for the heads up on your 'centre-zoom' method, which is excellent. Now I just need to break my old habits and adopt new ones ... not easy at my age!

The latest (15 Sept) update placing the four cardinal points on the toolbar (among many other changes) is a great help :)

Cheers,
Bernard

Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Post by Hamza Touhami » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:10 pm

Good afternoon Bernard

Glad you like the new features in the last update, this is to show that development is active and constant.

Thanks.
Hyperion-Astronomy.com