Prism Sky Chart Star colors display

This section is dedicated to any skychart discussion
Ken Simmons

Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:03 am

Prism SkyChart star colors.png
Thought I would try the observe Albireo with the smaller scope (iOptron CEM25 and a Skywatcher 100mm APO) and connect both camera's and setup Prism with the camera's. Anyway, I have the Sky Chart setup with a couple of different chart configurations. I have a Tycho II chart setup with no Realistic stars, no Split stars, No GSC, USNO, UCAC,...catalog selected. Was checking to see if I can use Sky Chart alone as a Binary star measuring tool. I zoomed in to max. zoom (Field-8.7' x 10', object=5). Albireo is used a calibrated double star. Albireo is orange in color and Beta2 is a royal blue. As you move the mouse wheel, the colors show up, but when you stop zooming, the colors turn white. Also when you get to max. zoom, Albireo is white with a slight crescent of orange on edge. Beta2 is white in color. I check with the default chart (options.skymap with no stars selected) Albireo and its companion zoom in and out with the correct color and display with same colors, with no artifacts. Might stay with this setting for now. Will experiment with Tycho II, WDS and UCAC 4 (have this catalog install on my computer) charts.
Last edited by Ken Simmons on Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cyril Cavadore
Site Admin

Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:57 pm

I would love to see screen copies.
If default star catalog is set, i.e BSC only, double star is colored and visible properly.
If you add other star catalog then simply overlay each other, and in the end the star to loose color because some catalog does not have this information.
Cyril Cavadore
Principal Prism Author,
Alcor-System
www.alcor-system.com
Ken Simmons

Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:19 am

Hi Cyril, you may already have the screenshot, but here it is.