USNO catalog causes Prism hangup

This section is dedicated to any skychart discussion
wglogowski

Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:02 am

So I noticed an issue and just want some feedback if this is normal. I downloaded the USNO catalog from the Prism website and installed the catalog and pointed the sky chart software to the correct location. When I do this Prism seems to hang up and it takes a long time to respond. When I intentionally do not point to the correct file location for the USNO software I, of course, get a notice that the catalog cannot be found but after dismissing the error message Prism no longer hangs up.
1) Am I doing something wrong with the software setup?
2) What is the impact of not having the USNO software installed? I don't see to see a difference in the skychart appearance either way.

Walter
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:49 am

Good morning Walter

The USNO catalog is a star database that provides you with all kinds of information about them: magnitudes, coordinates,etc.. The sky chart star display is governed by the settings shown below under the "GSC" tab. The way to works is that you tell PRISM what magnitudes stars to show when you zoom the sky chart 16x. If you choose 8, then the maximum of 8th magnitudes stars will be displayed. Typically, I only enable these catalogs unless I am looking for a specific star. This catalog contains 55,368,239 sources.

Special care needs to be taken not to enable more than you need in the sky chart, the information is so dense that your computer might have trouble handling it(this is a great problem to have, PRISM gives you more than you bargain for then some :lol: ). The included GSC catalog is more than enough for most applications.
Attachments
star mag.PNG
Hamza Touhami | Site Administrator
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
wglogowski

Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:28 am

Thank you, that make's sense.

Walter