Merge Image into Sky Chart

This section is dedicated to any skychart discussion
rottielover

Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:12 pm

I'm trying to find more information on how I can merge my images into the sky chart, but do so in a way where the image aligns with the scale and orientation of the skychart.

I have a raw FITS LUM image, I plate solved it, and when I selected it for merge, it did not align with the sky chart at all and was distorted.

What is the proper procedure for doing this?
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:26 pm

can you please send me the raw file? I'd love to give it A shot
Hamza Touhami | Site Administrator
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
rottielover

Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:14 pm

I uploaded some of the raw FITS files to my dropbox, link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9za5kic1fqfj ... xfO6a?dl=0

There is one I called "solved" and the others are just RAW fits.

I'm also having an issue with batch processing for plate solving. Each one of these will solve on it's own, but if I try to run the batch solver I get that the pixel size for X Y can't be determined.
rottielover

Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:16 pm

Cam used is a ZWO 1600mm-cool I think it's the gen 3 one, 3.8 pixels

you know, I just figured out that if I use image files captured with Prism, I can run certain tasks, these were older files I captured with SGPro...
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:39 pm

That would make sense, some software packages have different ways of saving file and writing to FIT headers.
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
rottielover

Wed May 08, 2019 7:57 pm

I realized something today. There's basically just one help file page that tells you how to do this.

For those who end up at this thread wondering how to get an image to show on the skychart:

Once you have a platesolved image open go to the skychart window and right click, go to Data Connect -> Merge image into sky map Select the image you want from the list box that opens (if you have more than one, it will show you a preview of the images when you click on them). Once checked hit OK. It will display the image "embedded" into the sky chart as long as you have that image open so you might want to minimize that window, if you close it Prism will warn you that it will also stop displaying the image in the skychart.

TIP: Make sure you hit F4 and adjust the display to your liking as the Sky Chart will display the image as you see it in the window at the moment you did the "import" function. If you are not satisfied you can change the look, then follow these steps again to "re-import".

I hope this helps some of you find this useful function.

Now I just wish we could build this into our skychart on a permanent basis if I wanted (and had a fast computer), would be nice to display my M objects on the skychart :)
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Thu May 09, 2019 9:46 am

thanks for that. Here is a video tutorial I have just published for your guys

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
rottielover

Thu May 09, 2019 6:38 pm

Thanks Hamza!
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Thu May 09, 2019 6:40 pm

You’re welcome. Send me any suggestions you guys might have. I will publish more in depth videos, starting with the most common subjects.
Hyperion-Astronomy.com