Prism calibrates AO-8 but won't guide with it

CCD cameras (CMOS/CCD), DSLRs, telescope mounts, focusers, autoguiders, domes, Roll off roofs, etc..
OregonAstronomer

Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:32 pm

Hello all,
I have a situation here I'm hoping somebody can help me figure out. I'm trying to use Prism with an SBIG ST-2000 with internal guide chip equipped with an AO-8 adaptive optics guider. Both the mount and the AO-8 calibrate properly. When guiding, however, Prism does not appear to be using the AO-8. When I use CCDSoft or Maxim I can hear the rapid clicking of the tip-tilt lens as either of those programs guide with the AO-8, and as I decrease the guide exposure time, the tracking improves. When using Prism, I never hear any clicking, and as I decrease the exposure time, tracking deteriorates, I assume because Prism is trying to move the mount (Losmandy G-11) faster than it was designed to. I have Prism set to not use ASCOM pulse guiding because I have a cable connecting the camera to the mount, and "Use AO-7 or AO-L" is checked (there is no AO-8 option) under Camera Settings. Is there something else I'm missing?
Thanks so much,
Arnie
Cyril Cavadore
Site Admin

Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:43 am

Difficult to say without screen copies of the guiding setup...
Cyril Cavadore
Principal Prism Author,
Alcor-System
www.alcor-system.com
OregonAstronomer

Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:04 pm

Hi,
Here are all the screenshots I can think of. Please let me know if you need anything else.
Thanks so much,
Arnie
Attachments
acqusition_properties.jpg
hardware_setup_autoguiding_.jpg
hardware_setup_telescope_mo.jpg
millermk32

Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:00 pm

I'm just starting to setup using PRISM with my SBIG STT8300 with AO-8. Did you ever get this issue resolved?
OregonAstronomer

Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:08 pm

Hi,
I never heard back from anybody after posting the screenshots and I have never been able to get Prism to guide using the AO-8. Please let me know if you are successful in doing so. Maybe it will help me figure something out.
Thanks!
millermk32

Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:05 am

Thanks for the reply. I would hope that Hamza would take a few minutes to help us users that have an AO-8 be able to utilize this valuable part of our imaging equipment. It would be nice to have specifics on the settings for using the AO-8 plus any strategies that he used in the design of the program. I have not been able to use it to date either. At this point, I may have to go back to using MaximDL which handles it quite well.

Hamza....help, please.
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:04 am

Hello. Let’s communicate in private about a way to help you and then update the forum with a resolution.

Email coming shortly.
Hamza Touhami | Site Administrator
Hyperion-Astronomy.com