Focuser Q...

CCD cameras (CMOS/CCD), DSLRs, telescope mounts, focusers, autoguiders, domes, Roll off roofs, etc..
starhunter

Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:43 am

When you use the auto focus module, can you do a focus without moving away from the target or do you have to go to another field with brighter stars? then return to the target? (moonlight )
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:51 am

Mitch

There are a few ways to focus in Prism:

Manual: you can focus on any star you select in the image and move the focuser yourself, this is helpful to find the initial focus
Automatic: you can choose any star in the image and Prism will move the focuser to find the best focus for you
Direct: Prism will ask you for a magnitude range, exposure time and equipment to use to find a qualifying star and autofocus on it. It will Find the star in the Skychart, slew, center through plate solving then autofocus on it. At the end of the run, it will ask you if you want to go back to the initial position.

I will make a video about this as soon as the skies clear up, a video tutorial is always best. Please let me know if i can assist you further.

Thanks.
Hamza Touhami | Site Administrator
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
starhunter

Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:14 am

thank you Hamza, that works, I guess we need to try it out..

Mitch

next Question: how do I get live VIEW to work (T3i DSLR) for focusing on the sun in real time ???

Mitch
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:40 am

starhunter wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:14 am
thank you Hamza, that works, I guess we need to try it out..

Mitch

next Question: how do I get live VIEW to work (T3i DSLR) for focusing on the sun in real time ???

Mitch
Mitch

That is the best part, you can take an images then manual focus on it, but this time, use "Any Object focusing" this will use FFT focusing on any objects. This works exceptionally well on the Sun, Moon and planets.
Hamza Touhami | Site Administrator
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
DarkSky OnDemand

Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:38 am

Holy Moley! The "Direct" Method sounds AMAZING! I can't wait to try it...

Quick Question: When does Prism plan to become self-aware and take over SkyNet?

I just want to make sure to move to Fiji before then.
Dark Skies and Phenomenal Seeing!

- Ed

DarkSky OnDemand
https://darkskyondemand.com
DarkSky OnDemand

Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:18 am

Just an FYI: I'm using a FeatherTouch 3" Focuser with the BOSS II Kit and the HSM High-Torque stepper - In addition to that, I'm using a ASCOM/EQMOD (for my EQ8) and kept getting problems with the Focuser responding through Prism. The problem isn't Prism and its connection to the focuser through it's driver... I learned from the folks at Startlight that the older uni-polar motors used the "FeatherTouch HSM High-Torque" selection in the driver setup but the newer motors (the one I have) requires the "Quick Sync HSM High-Torque" setting instead. This is true for the High-Speed steppers as well. So if you're having trouble getting your FeatherTouch focuser to run as expected, try the Quick Sync option for the stepper type. Runs like a charm! Not to mention, focusing actions are integral to a lot of cool functionality built into Prism!

For what it's worth - there's my $0.02
Dark Skies and Phenomenal Seeing!

- Ed

DarkSky OnDemand
https://darkskyondemand.com