Setting Up New Camera

CCD cameras (CMOS/CCD), DSLRs, telescope mounts, focusers, autoguiders, domes, Roll off roofs, etc..
clupus

Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:36 am

Hi Folks,

I've just had this program for a week and I'm setting it up while I wait for the arrival of my SBIG 8300 CCD Colour camera.

So far, so good! I've got my Moonlight Focuser, StarShot Guide camera and the Skywatcher EQ6 mount all responding to Prism Pro.

I've been reading up on the SBIG camera and it uses a software package called CCDOPS. I don't want to run this program as I'm hoping that Prism Pro can access my camera and run its features without using the CCDOPS program. How can I get the drivers for the camera loaded without utilizing the above software?

Question #2. I'm coming to Prism Pro from using SkySafari on an iMac. The Skyview presentation in Prism throws me. Is there any way to get a simple flat horizon and a view similar to what one sees when outside?
This is not a criticism of this great program. If I have to adapt to a new way of viewing the sky, then I will.

Hank
clupus

Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:08 pm

Just solved question #2.

Hank
clupus

Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:02 pm

In case someone else runs into this situation, I'm posting a solution to my problem.

In Prism I checked the box for drivers for SBIG cameras but was not able to connect to the camera. I didn't want to load the SBIG software package so I searched on line and found drivers for my camera and installed them instead of the SBIG software. The camera now connects just using Prism. The weather hasn't cooperated so that I could give everything a full workout but everything appears to be ready to go.

Hank
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:56 pm

Good morning Hank

In fact, PRISM handles SBIG camera natively. When you choose it in the camera selection menu, it will ask you if you have download the drivers yet. And yes, CCDOPS is not required at all.
Hamza Touhami | Site Administrator
Hyperion-Astronomy.com