Define different cameras in Automatic Observation

CCD cameras (CMOS/CCD), DSLRs, telescope mounts, focusers, autoguiders, domes, Roll off roofs, etc..
airwolf599

Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:53 am

Hello,

yesterday I tried the automatic observation Feature for the first time. But it failed totally (and crashed the System and my EQDir Adapter).

My Setup (it's from my thinking how it should work, since the documentation is very week in this point) is as follows:

Main scope - Newton with a Moravian G2-4000 (camera #1) and digital focuser (focuser #1)
Second scope - Refractor with Canon EOS (camera #2) and digital focuser (focuser #2)
Guiding - OAG on the Newton with an ASI 224MC camera #3

But, after executing automatic Observation Prism tried to guide with camera #2 (Canon EOS) instead of the guiding cam (ASI 224MC -camera #3) which crashed for any reason the whole system.

My question is now. Is there any way to define the role of the cameras in automatic observations setup? What I'm looking for is, for example - camera #1 is for Imaging, camera #2 is for Imaging, camera #3 is for guiding. The next question is how do I manage two cameras (my Setup) in automatic observations? How do I define the settings (filters or shutter times) for the different cameras?

Again the documentation is not that helpfull, so I tried to change the guiding cam to camera #2 but the focuser #2 is dedicated to camera #2 and that makes the second scope useless, since there is no way to set the focuser to the third camera.

Any help is welcome.

The log-file from Auto Obs is attached

Wolf
Attachments
Obsauto__UTC_2018-02-08__20h14m29s.txt
(2.26 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:00 pm

Good evening Wolf

The automatic observation does not support two imaging setup at this time and this only available through scripting using the included PGM language. As for the DSLR being used as a guider, I will investigate further and report back.

Thanks for the great report
Hamza Touhami | Site Administrator
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
airwolf599

Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:18 am

Hello Hamza,

thank you for your answer. It seems I was not clear enough in my post (english is not my main language). I have no intentions to use a DSLR as a guider. My thinking was, that from the three camera slots the first two ones are dedicated to the imaging cameras (since both are connected to the digital focusers) and number 3 is reserved for the guider. For that reason I was surprised that prism tried to use camera 2 as a guider. With your explanation that behavior makes sense.

Nevertheless I would suggest to change the software in a way that camera 3 is reserved for a guiding cam and PRISM us it as standard (if present).

Then a next question. Is a sequence with the second imaging camera possible in parallel if an automated observation session is running ? That would help in my case.

Best regards

Wolf
sponka

Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:50 pm

Hi Wolf,

did you get further answers ? I have the same problem with PRISM.

kind regards

Stefan
airwolf599

Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:13 pm

Hi,

no, unfortunately not. So, if you want do imaging with two scopes in parallel and guiding you have to do it by using sequences for each camera. But you may not dither since the cameras are not synchronized.
For the automatic observation feature only one imaging camera is available, while the second slot is blocked by the guider, you have to change the camera setup before starting the session, regarding to the telescope in use.
Maybe handling two scopes in parallel will be adressed in a future version of Prism
Nevertheless its a great piece of software and it replaced all other applications in my imaging sessions.

Sorry about the late answer, i haven't been here for a while. For additional questions you may send me a private message. (Gern auch in deutsch)

Wolf