ASCOM and Prism Disagree!

CCD cameras (CMOS/CCD), DSLRs, telescope mounts, focusers, autoguiders, domes, Roll off roofs, etc..
clupus

Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:17 pm

Hi All,

This is very frustrating as I actually got everything working at the same time a week ago and now something has changed.

My camera (SBIG) connects without any problem. When I try to connect to the mount (Skywatcher) things start to go wrong.

First, I click on "Observatory" and then "Establish link to telescope hardware." The "Information" box pops up and says a link has completed successfully. However, the ASCOM box opens and says "Connect Error" "Port Not Available." I've always connected to the mount through Com Port 3. If I do a search of available Com Ports, it says that none are available.

I've checked and re-checked all of the cables to no avail.

Any suggestions would be welcome. The skies might finally be clear on Thursday and I'd like to be ready.

Hank
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:47 pm

Hey Hank

This sounds like something changed alright, I use an EQ8 for the moment and it just disappears in the background. Now remember that something did get moved around because of a bog windows update, it is posted here: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=186
Can you please make sure you're not affected.
Hamza Touhami | Site Administrator
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
clupus

Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:08 pm

Hi Hamza,

Thanks for the quick reply. I've spent most of this afternoon messing around with my setup trying to figure out what had gone wrong and I think I finally have the answer.

I just bypassed the hub and connected the mount directly into the powered USB cable and the mount immediately connected. I'm now assuming that there's a problem with my hub but that can easily be replaced. At least I now know that everything will work (mount, camera, focuser).

BTW, on another post I asked when you'd have a step by step Youtube video regarding automation. I know that you have a lot on your plate and as requested I will be patient. It just that Prism is such a great program and I'm eager to use "automation" so that I can do astrophotography while still getting a reasonable night's sleep. ;)

Hank
keving

Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:14 pm

I noticed similar things recently where my kit wouldnt connect... but I dont think this was Prism-related. I think there may have been a Windows 'update' recently which never helps..
I find that disconnecting the failed device often cures it (in device and hardware panel in Win 10) otherwise a hard reset.
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:14 pm

Windows did it this time by thankfully Mr. Bob Denny of DC-3 dreams as well as the ASCOM team where quick to intercept and offer a resolution.
Hamza Touhami | Site Administrator
Hyperion-Astronomy.com