Lodestar and Lodestar X2 issues with autoguiding...

CCD cameras (CMOS/CCD), DSLRs, telescope mounts, focusers, autoguiders, domes, Roll off roofs, etc..
stellar.skies

Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:12 pm

Not sure what is going on but when I try to use two different setups, one with a Lodestar and the other with a Lodestar X2 the autoguide process can never find a guide star, even if I select one manually. I can calibrate with both just fine. I am using centroiding, default settings for it, exposures of 3 seconds, with a window of 40x40 or higher.

It is odd that even if I select one it does not display it in the 40x40 window, just noise unfortunately.

Best Always,

Daniel
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:35 pm

Good evening Daniel

Can you please tell me what versions of PRISM are you using? can you also provide with the log files showing this operation failing?

Thanks
Hamza Touhami | Site Administrator
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
stellar.skies

Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:10 am

Hamza,

You bet, I am running version 10.3.44.391 on all piers. I will get a log tomorrow night for you. I am also going to get a master dark for each of these built for tomorrow as well, maybe that makes a big difference? I could still make out the stars easily without any but I will try with them tomorrow as well.

Best Always,

Daniel
stellar.skies

Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:32 pm

Hamza,

Got it running tonight in full frame mode. In window mode and wanting to have it auto select the guide star where does it put this window?? I think the issue was wherever it is windowing the frame there was no guide star there. I just don't understand when using a window where it is creating that window from (top-left, top-right, etc.)

Also it seems it is giving RA corrections in the opposite direction needed, it just pushes the star farther and farther away each correction. Could it be because my guide camera is Off Axis and I have no idea what its rotation is? When setting it up in the hardware I left the N\S option unchecked. Not sure if this matters or not.

Best Always,

Daniel
dwight_talley

Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:13 pm

I am having similar problems with my Lodestar guider. I am running Prism Version 10.3.48.415. I can't see any guide stars when I attempt to guide. I tell the program to select automatically and there are 20 or more guide stars but I get a small window of noise instead and a failure message that it can't find a guide star. I then manually select a guide star and a small window appears with no star in it.

I am using a QSI 660 camera with OAG lodestar guider, Windows 10.

The only success I have had is to use Advanced, Fixed value guiding. It does not provide smooth guiding as guiding on a guide star does.

Does anyone know what I need to do to fix this?

Dwight
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:45 pm

Hi Dwight

Have you tried using dark with your Lodestar? This way you have a cleaner image and less noise.
Hamza Touhami | Site Administrator
Hyperion-Astronomy.com