Web Power Switch

CCD cameras (CMOS/CCD), DSLRs, telescope mounts, focusers, autoguiders, domes, Roll off roofs, etc..
clupus

Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:05 pm

I just received my Web Power Switch for my observatory. Digital Loggers website says that the Web Switch 7 is sold out, however Amazon had them listed. The one that I've received is the Web Power Switch Pro and I'm assuming that this is their new model. It has among other things WiFi support.

I've tried to hook it up with a made up cable but it won't connect using the switch option in Prism.

Questions:
1. Is there a special cable that goes from an RJ45 to a USB?

2. Does one have to program the unit before using the ASCOM utility in Prism?

3. Since this is a "new" version, will a new driver be needed?

Sorry for all of the questions but I'm illiterate when it comes to electronics.

Hank
stellar.skies

Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:50 pm

Hank,

Can you connect to your switch via a browser? Make sure you can do that first and you do the initial setup via the browser like setting up a new password and the names of the outlets to what they control.

When you setup the switch and are ready to get it connected in Prism you need to use the Native switches option:

ASCOMSwitch1.png

Click the "Setup" button and you will get another form:

ASCOMSwitch2.png

Select the "ASCOM switches" option and then click the "Add Interface" button. You will get another dialog in which you will select the ASCOM Digital Loggers driver and you will have to enter you Digital Logger's IP address and the credentials to log into it.

Make sure before doing any of this you have the ASCOM Digital Loggers driver written by Mr. Chris Rowland and Todd Benko here:

https://ascom-standards.org/Downloads/SwitchDrivers.htm (first one in the list)

Hope this helps!

Best Always,

Daniel
clupus

Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:26 pm

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the help. So far I've been able to connect to the Power Switch using a friend's computer which has a Ethernet cable and we've been able to do a basic setup including the name change and password including turning on all of the switches. The next challenge will be to access using a Ethernet to USB connection.

I'll let you know what happens.

Hank
clupus

Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:19 pm

Hi Daniel,

By what method are you hooking your Power Switch to your computer?

Hank
stellar.skies

Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:58 pm

Hank,

All my Digital Loggers are using Ethernet, all of which come off of various network switches installed throughout the observatory.

Best Always,

Daniel