Dark Subtraction

CCD cameras (CMOS/CCD), DSLRs, telescope mounts, focusers, autoguiders, domes, Roll off roofs, etc..
clupus

Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:48 am

I'm using an SBIG STF8300C camera on my 11" SCT and I'm getting a lot of noise in the downloaded images. Since I assumed it's a camera problem, I contacted the SBIG site and asked for advice. In response I was asked if I was sufficiently cooling the camera (which I am) and whether I was using "Dark Subtraction" which is apparently part of their software program. Does Prism have a method of using Dark Subtraction while taking images and how is it set up. I don't want to go back to a "two program" mode.

Hank
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:04 am

Hi Hank

ALWAYS post a screenshot of what you are seeing, there is no way for us to know what you mean by " noisy". I think it is an image display issue and it is rather simple to fix. I await your response.
Hamza Touhami | Site Administrator
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
clupus

Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:54 pm

Your correct, Hamza. "Noisy" is very subjective.

This is what I'm seeing.

Hank
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 3.42.29 PM.png
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:36 am

PRISM, and other software packages, render the data in the image in a way or another. In this instance, I think you should adjust the display settings to your liking. Please head over here : Settings > Software Settings > Image display and adjust the high cuts up and down to find your preferred setting.

I am attaching two screenshot to show the dramatic difference, pay close attention to the high cut setting of the stellar (deep sky) images.
Attachments
99 setting.PNG
90 setting.PNG
Hamza Touhami | Site Administrator
Hyperion-Astronomy.com