Eq8 terrible noise when slew with prism

CCD cameras (CMOS/CCD), DSLRs, telescope mounts, focusers, autoguiders, domes, Roll off roofs, etc..
Luca

Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:00 pm

Hi I'm Luca ,
I bought prism advanced not long ago and soon I was readi to configured my mount eq8 and try to slew that I here a terrible noise from the motors in bough ax. So I tryed to fine out what happen and I discovered it make the terrible noise just when I slewing wiht prism using the middle speed , but if I slew with ascom slew control, anything it's fine, not noise .
I attach a picture of the speed control whit the speed give me the problem.
So any idea way ,if this depend from power, I use12v 7.5A power supplier .
Thanks for now
Attachments
image.jpeg
cornyyy

Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:14 pm

Hi Luca

I have an Az-Eq6 and have the same problem as well. It took me 2 nights to find out that the terrible sound is related to the slewing speed.

Best regards
Cornel
Vkagnihotri

Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:39 pm

Hello

I suggest to use EQMOD interface and select auto or custom option while installing to get correct gear ratio.... :lol: :D. New EQMOD driver can be get from https://sourceforge.net/projects/eq-mod/files/EQASCOM/

Get new EQASCOM_V200k_Setup.exe it will detect gear ratio on auto once mount powered. If you use NEQ6 mount with rowan belt drive option then go to custom setting and choose 47:12 gear option.

Regards
Vikrant
Luca

Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:50 am

Thanks guys.
I hope to all a fully functionality of the gear.
Bey
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Fri May 04, 2018 8:58 am

I agree wtih Vikrant, I used an HDX110 (EQ8) for months with great results using EQMOD and an EQDIR cable. If you need further help, just let us know.
Hamza Touhami | Site Administrator
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
Luca

Thu May 10, 2018 2:55 am

Thanks 👍
airwolf599

Thu May 10, 2018 3:53 pm

Hi all,

i can confirm this issue. I have the EQ8, connected with EQDir to my computer, for manual moving, there is a Gamepad linked to EQMod. This noise seems to be coming from the way that PRISM connects to EQMod. As long as PRISM is connected I can either use PRISM or the gamepad to move the mount, in medium speed settings the mount starts to howl.

Btw. PRISM is blocking all other applications connecting to EQMod. When PRISM is connected to EQMod, I'm not able anymore to connect any other software (C2A, APT, PHD). With all other combinations (PHD-SGPro, APT-PHD) its working well, but not with PRISM. I can try this in any direction, first PRISM than another application or vice versa, allways the same issue.

Maybe there is a link to the noise issue

Best regards

Wolf
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Thu May 10, 2018 4:08 pm

I must interject here, The only thing prism is doing is tell ASCOM what to do, that is it. If you wish to slew to M20, PRISM will tell ASCOM to slew to those coordinates and EQASCOM takes it from there. PRISM does not talk directly to your mount, it does not talk directly to ANY mount for that matter. The driver is in charge of your mount and not automation software.
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Thu May 10, 2018 4:11 pm

Please post a video here so we can see what is going on. I have had an EQ8 myself on NM and operate it remotely for months and have not seen this behavior.
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
airwolf599

Fri May 11, 2018 11:51 am

Hello Hamza,

I made some tests this day. That mysterious noise is not only a PRISM thing. I was able to reproduce it with SGPro too. When the speed setting is 0.5 degrees per second the Mount becomes noisy. It seems to be an EQMod Problem now.

I will post this issue at the EQMod yahoo group.

If you are still interested, I made some small movies about it.

About the other issue, connecting to EQMod. I don't wanna hijack this thread. but I made a post about it in the user area at the Hyperion website two weeks ago, but all the content is gone with the new design. Here again some pictures to show the problem. First picture shows SGPro and APT both connected to EQMod, no problem. Second picture, PRISM is connected and no other application is able to connect anymore. It shows the message: "port not available". Maybe its a problem with my computer (but why all other applications working fine together?), so if someboday can reproduce it (or not) it would be helpful.

Best regards

Wolf
Attachments
Prism-EQMod-Blocking-SGPro-APT.jpg
Prism-EQMod-Blocking.jpg
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Fri May 11, 2018 11:57 am

very good points wolf, the problem cannot possibly generate from PRISM as I pointed out and you found out. About the port issue, I will investigate further and report back.
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
airwolf599

Sun May 13, 2018 2:48 am

Hi all,

the noise come from some resonance in the steppermotors, due to the cheap design of the Skywatcher mounts. I posted a question about the noise issue in the EQMod Yahoo group and here is the statement (with his permission) from Chris Shillito , the programmer of EQMod:

"chrisshillito2000May 11 2:05 PM
Some movement rates do that - nothing to worry about, its just that some rates cause resonanace with the steppers. I'm sure if you experiment setting different rates in EQMOD you can come across the same issue - its just a characteristic of the mount. The trick is to work out which rates are "quiet" and have PRISM/SGPro use them instead."

The question now is, where can I change the speed settings in PRISM? EQMod has a 64x speed setting which works fine.

Wolf
Attachments
PRISM-Motor-Speed-Settings.jpg
PRISM-Motor-Speed-Settings-EQMod.jpg
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Sun May 13, 2018 12:01 pm

It is normal that the EQMOD confirms what we advanced since it is what is a happening here. PRISM pulls the different speeds from your mount's driver, these need to be set there. If 800x causes the noise, try lowering it. This goes for all other speeds you can adjust.
Attachments
mount custom speeds.PNG
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
Vkagnihotri

Mon May 14, 2018 4:09 am

Hello,

See image. Try Custom settings to EQ8 for rather Auto. and see what happens.
Untitled.jpg
Luca

Thu May 24, 2018 2:33 pm

Hi all,
Yes I confirm is not prism falt , yesterday night I try to set in eqmod the rate speed around 200-250 and the mount start make nois when slew.
Bey