Dome "rotating" issue

CCD cameras (CMOS/CCD), DSLRs, telescope mounts, focusers, autoguiders, domes, Roll off roofs, etc..
Ron

Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:19 am

I had this before and it went away with a total shut down and restart the next day. The problem is BACK.

My dome control window (state) at bottom says Rotating... (it's not moving).

Luckily I know when this happened. I was reading the manual for the dome control and I clicked Parking NORTH.
(all the parking direction buttons went gray) and State changed to Rotating. And it's stuck again.

What does PARK the dome do? Just position it N S E W or user defined position? or does it actually shut down something?

Before I pressed park North - all the buttons were red.

domestuck.JPG

This happened to me fore. With had before with a violation error.

dome violation.JPG

At least I learned DONT CLICK PARK DOME.
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:38 pm

PRISm is reading what your driver is telling it. If you tell PRISM to park your dome North, it will do just that: tell your driver to go North. Please enable the log and post it here of the action happening.
Hamza Touhami | Site Administrator
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
Ron

Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:13 pm

It seems to be telling it to rotate - (go something) and it's not... so prism seems to hang waiting for it to comply. I found if I move the dome manually with Poth, it complies and Prism is happy and releases it. I'm running poth which is a hub and connects to the mount and dome.

I then connect Prism to poth hub. It was working fine, but lately started spewing errors.

I'll attach my logs. Hmmm we can't attach .zips?

trying text... it won't let me upload .log

I'd have to attach to you via email?
Ron

Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:18 pm

I have lots of registry errors.

(small snippit).... Since it was working - maybe I should uninstall - reinstall and start from scratch. I obviously messed something up.

[Main]: UTC 2018-06-22 02h14m26.757s {737.4 ms} : Registry Read Error : -> \Software\Prism\Debug:EnableSaveImageGuid : value does not exists., Default value used...
[Main]: UTC 2018-06-22 02h14m26.773s {4.5 ms} : Registry Read Error : -> \Software\Prism\Debug:EnableSaveImageObsAuto : value does not exists., Default value used...
[Main]: UTC 2018-06-22 02h14m26.773s {4.4 ms} : First log line, PRISM Version 10.3.46.401 compiled on -> 4/7/2018
[Main]: UTC 2018-06-22 02h14m26.773s {4.1 ms} : PRISM is starting using database registry for KEY parameters...
[Main]: UTC 2018-06-22 02h14m26.789s {6.3 ms} : Windows release is : Windows 32 10.0 (Build 17134) Windows NT - V10.0
[Main]: UTC 2018-06-22 02h14m26.789s {4.3 ms} : WritePath user is : C:\Users\AstroPC\Documents\Prism\
[Main]: UTC 2018-06-22 02h14m26.789s {5.6 ms} : Aspect indec loaded=2 (LookIndex)
[Main]: UTC 2018-06-22 02h14m34.359s {7.4 s} : Registry Read Error : Key \Software\Prism\FITS\KW not found
[Main]: UTC 2018-06-22 02h14m34.359s {5.3 ms} : Registry Read Error : Key \Software\Prism\FITS\KW not found
[Main]: UTC 2018-06-22 02h14m34.359s {5.9 ms} : Registry Read Error : Key \Software\Prism\FITS\KW not found
[Main]: UTC 2018-06-22 02h14m34.375s {10.4 ms} : Registry Read Error : Key \Software\Prism\FITS\KW not found
[Main]: UTC 2018-06-22 02h14m34.391s {7.1 ms} : Registry Read Error : Key \Software\Prism\FITS\KW not found
[Main]: UTC 2018-06-22 02h14m34.391s {4.6 ms} : Registry Read Error : Key \Software\Prism\FITS\KW not found
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:28 pm

if your registry is broken, it might cause a lot of problems.
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
Ron

Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:20 am

I tired to do a restore, it said it couldn't (windows - gotta love it).
I do have a backup, I'll see if problems persist today and if so, I'll try my backup.
no matter which - it will be a reinstall of a lot of things as well as setups. Crossing my finders.
Ron

Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:33 pm

full reinstall of win10 and all software - thinking going well. ROTATING still appears sometimes in prism at boot up of the dome, but any bump of the dome through the driver gets them synced up. So not a problem. Loving Prism so car, but so much to learn. It does SO MUCH.
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:35 am

Glad you're loving it Ron, I appreciate all the feedback
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
Ron

Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:21 pm

working out kinks. I found I need to use POTH hub, then connect my mount and dome to that. Then connect Prism to POTH.
This allows me to
1. set "OFFSETS" for the dome rotation. I don't see any settings for this in Prism? (SGP had them) Poth has them.
So I think I'm okay, I set the offset for the dome opening and mount in Poth. I SLAVE with Poth and I now turn off slave with Prism.
Seems to work, still testing. When Prism seems to stick upon booting devices. I can bump the dome in poth and that clears up the sticky
Prism issue.

So that brought me to another little thing. Maybe you can help, it might be very simple. Since I entered the offset for thte slit in poth.
The dome/scope do not align properly in Prism graphic. (which I really like). when they worked.
There has to be some sort of offset I can change in Prism that will align them? Or tell Prism they are aligned?
I tried some of the options and they did kick things around, but they would then kick poth out of Slave mode. So thought I'd post a pic.

Using the offets of my mount in the dome - my mount IS CENTERED in the dome opening. But the prism graphic is like this.
What do I do to "square them up" visually?
Attachments
azdifference.JPG
Ron

Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:50 am

Bad test last night. Scope was rarely pointing out the shutter opening. (big sigh) and everytime I would click on the first star for guiding calibration Prism dropped to windows. I tried about 5 times (making adjustments to stop the crash) and couldn't make it happen. I closed up and went to bed.

Do you check with developers? Can you ask if they could add dome/mount offsets? Also ask if they can add filename control so we can add "camera, gain, exposure time, filter, etc" to the subs filename.
Also ask them to add some manual control. (left/right rotation with step amount of even just a hold button to rotate it left or right). Seems Prism won't control the dome unless I bump/move it some after connection.

I love using Prism, but can't really put it to use due to some issues. Sadly - I'm installing PHD and SGP again today so I can at least get work done. I'll keep working with Prism during the day.

Surely people in Europe have domes and need slave offsets from Prism?

updating post...
OOPS - I just found them - however they seem to limit the correction to only 50mm. I can't put any larger number in them.
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:10 am

Ron

If equipment does not work, it hardly the software's problem in most cases. User error is a huge factor wether it be knowingly or not. There are a few very advanced amateurs that discovered comets and asteroids using the same PRISM you have without a hitch. There is nothing special about it at all.

The last time I had a dome, the issue was that the optical encoder that counts the rotation ticks could not operated right if the IP from the IP cam was on.

Can you post a screenshot of the geometry parameters you have setup your dome at in PRISM?
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
Ron

Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:49 am

Hamza, with all due respect... I'm very use to software people saying their software isn't to blame. (SGP is famous for that one). I understand you may have a stable version and I WISH I COULD SAY THAT. But please, be aware that I'm LISTENING and willing to do anything to get this to work. (remove access? no problem - my system is your system).

I WANT THIS BAD. I love how it works, it just ... isn't working. VERY easily could be user error. Again I'm all ears.

I can post anything you request. Like I said I LIKE HOW WELL IT DOES IT IT CAN but the quirks are making it so I can't get anything accomplished.

I am trying various setups (with POTH and without) it seems I need poth because I have to bump the rotator once Prism connects because it says "rotating" and doesn't continue until the rotator moves some. Poth allows me to Bump the rotator <--- or --> or hit HOME. (it moves a little and then prism says idle and works).

That's first provlem. So with poth - I can get it working. (but is poth messing it up?) Poth has geometry, and Slave and - it often seems Prism and poth are playing tug of war. = (

Geometry in Prism I have 1.09 diameter
-50. mm East west (seems to be max allowed, I had more in SGP)
25.00 in North/south.
50. mm in positive toward zenith.

German mount crossing pt. I'm guessing - but I put 50. (again max) in there... mind you 50mm is not a lot of distance.

I need to get it tracking properly. In PART this is my fault. I have a side by side mount and I sold a large scope. This required that I off set it to balance the small 80mm and the 80mm guider. (about 15" appart). The 80mm being nearly centered on the mount and the guider 15" off... means that the guider is often looking inside the wall of the dome. STILL I should be closer. My replacement (large tube) is coming next week. I will rebalance with it and I will remount my cradles on the plate to keep the 3 scopes as tight in formation as possible.

This is problem 1.
Problem 2 is when I go to calibrate the lodestarX2 - I click on first start and PRism crashes to OS. It didn't use to... so likely user error... but dunno what I've done.
I am using ASCOM camera (and selecting lodestar and tried sxCamera imagin0camera) same result. You mentioned me calling up StarlightXpress camera USB... when I do I get the SxUSB.dll can't be found error upon connection.

Again - I'm all ears! You get me imaging out the dome, and guiding with good steady images and I'm buying PRism Advanced. I promise.

I downloaded and installed my best guess as to the lodestar X2 drivers. Their site is confusing and I've never seen so many XC and X2 and XS and SXV - the list goes on and on products it's hard to know what driver I actually need. But PRism is accessing the camera (I pull frames). So driver is working. Why it crashes on star selection I dunno. (I have calibrated it before and it didn't crash).

I'm more bummed than you are!
Help me O-B-WAN you're my only hope. = )
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:54 am

Can you please post an actual image of the dome setup in PRISM and POTH please? I think this can be resolved easily.
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
Ron

Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:16 pm

Will do now - I'm also testing on my own. Be aware that I'm using APCC (mach1 mount) A 500. program that adds great functionality to my mount. Also Poth - so I'm now trying it like you say (others discovering comets are!) in the RAW = ) no APCC and no poth. I'll see how that goes. They are using it clean? I suspect? Are you familiar with APCC? (and using it with Prism?)

To assist you to assit me = ) I'll attach. (also I had a typo - I said you can remove - I meant you can REMOTE into my machine if that would help.
Attachments
pothdeom.JPG
geom.JPG
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:20 pm

Are the geometry settings set in both PRISM and POTH? if so, it'll never work as the correction are doubled up. Can you please verify?
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
Ron

Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:39 pm

Maybe we can learn what not to do for a TROUBLE SHOOTING section. = )
I'm extremely active in lots of facebook groups and forums and I can really promote HOW GREAT PRISM IS - but I need to get it working.
I'll be worth the time and effort.

No poth - no APCC - no help. When I connect the dome did say IDLE. I moved to one place on the star chart and mount moved. Dome changed from Idle to "Rotating..." state. (and nothing else will work - mount won't slew because it thinks rotator is moving. ? I can get by this with Poth if I move the dome. I wonder if the driver has to send a (done moving) or something to Prism that it's missing?

If I use poth, I can go into poth and home or move the dome to make Prism work fine. (if that helps decypher my problem?)
Ron

Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:41 pm

Are the geometry settings set in both PRISM and POTH? if so, it'll never work as the correction are doubled up. Can you please verify?

It seems to use one or the other. If I select the rotator to track in PRism, then the "SLAVE" box unchecks in poth. Additionally, if I check SLAVE in poth, then Prism unchecks. But I'm listening - if you have an idea?
Ron

Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:43 pm

It didn't work without poth booted. I'll clear them from poth and see if that helps. (I suspect not) I use to be a paid alpha/beta tester for Activision and I tend to test to track things down. Though - stumped... so I'll let you tell me = )
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:47 pm

correct, if you use PRISM to calculate the geometry then you need to zero out the same geometry field in POTH and vice versa. Give it a try and report back please.
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
Ron

Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:50 pm

I tried to zero - it did't let me save... if I clicked OK - It said those areas were blank.
Is there a french/euro forum where I might talk to others using the same gear?
(I can use a translator).

I LOVE this program. I can see by the speed, and the chart and the goto and the place solves and the focus
that it is the best. I just need to get rid of the 1-2 issues.

If I didn't like it - I've have given up already. SGP is what I'd have to go back to and though "when it works" its ok... if there is a hiccup - it hangs. Because it's not doing the tasks, it's talking to other programs doing the tasks and if one gets delayed or doesn 't report back - it hangs up. (needs a reboot). Reboots of Prism are fast and easy. Reboots of SGP require that I reboot the machine, restart all programs. And SGP - it's a slow tedius process.

I WANT TO USE PRISM. I have already referred other people, I'll see how they are making out. So please bare with me and lets get the kinks out. = )
Ron

Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:52 pm

Zero'd out poth. I tried nothing and it complained it needed values. I just tried again with 0's and it took it. I'll test like this.

no different. Except now I'm getting this error.
Again I welcome you or anyone to REMOTE DESKTOP into my dome PC and have at it.
Attachments
telesrror1.JPG
Ron

Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:37 pm

I got rid of that error - something to do with APCC.
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:45 pm

I will contact you offline.
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
Ron

Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:13 pm

I installed SGP (it was gone because of my reformat and windows install). and I installed PHD.
I set both up without any hiccups and all worked fine. Dome and slaving worked perfect.
I found I had to either use SLAVE poth with geometry settings. Or - SGP with geo settings. The geometry
settings were used from the where I clicked "SLAVE". (SGP or POTH).

I found it best to use poth and not slave in SGP. worked perfect. (but either way worked fine).

So... to simplify things I figured out that I don't need to use poth. My AP driver has a hub built in I didn't know of.

I went back to Prism and configured without Poth. Put in Slave geometry and got it all set up.

I CONNECT devices and for some reason The dome panel says ROTATING... But it physically is not.
It is CONNECTED TO THE DEVICE because open and close works from the Prism panel for the shutter door.
Actually... (OPEN - STOP and CLOSE) work from the Prism control panel for the dome.

Sometimes instead of saying Rotating... it will say IDLE. If I go to Rotate it will sometimes rotate the graphic of the dome.
as if the dome is rotating, but it will not rotate the dome.

Again - POTH works with my dome driver, and SGP works with my dome driver. Since they both work...
it would suggest that the problem is with Prism and dome rotation.
Ron

Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:52 am

Today's tests. I re-incorporated Poth. This then handles the dome slaving and tracking. (works).

All is well- EXCEPT. The dome control (which now accurately shows the dome position) will not show the AZ of the mount. The mount IS tracking outside the dome shutter. (in reality). But as you can see, it shows it's at 0 - park position.

What is odd... (proving they are connected to communicate). Notice the AZ is 86. (in the telescope status and in the dome telescope az field). Also notice the elevation (altitude of 51) of the scope is also correct. As I point higher and lower the vlew circle (which represents the front element angle) changes correctly.

So why is the graphic not showing what it displays at the telescope Az position? Weird huh.

Since poth is doing the tracking and slaving of the dome, Prism doesn't have to do anything except display the graphic at the reported directions. (it's clearly not displaying the telescope Az where the numbers displayed are stating.

Maybe you can ask the programmers about this?

notright.JPG
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:49 pm

the information in this thread has been forwarded, thanks for passing it along.
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
Observatory Grömme

Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:27 pm

Dear,

Are these problems now solved? I have also a new fresh 3.2m dome and i'm trying to let the dome follow the mount.
I still have troubles but i'm getting there. I also believe my optical encoder is bad, a new one is underway ( grey code )

Abouth POTH: Do i have to use this?

Prism -> ASCOM POTH -> ASCOM Lesvedome or PrismV10 -> ASCOM Lesvedome