FITS header and Airmass

PGM scripting language, search and discovery of comets, asteroids and supernova.
wglogowski

Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:23 pm

I don't have any screenshots to share regarding this question but I'll attempt to explain without visual aids. If you look at the header from an image you will see that Prism is calculating Airmass. But if you open up the FITS header EDIT you do not see any Airmass key. Also if you open an image taken with Prism with another software, and look at the FITS header you don't see Airmass. If there a way to force Airmass into the header? Since Prism is a Pro/Am software I have to imagine that you can write in header info but I don't know how? If you are looking at variable stars want to send your results to the AAVSO you need to report the Airmass.

Thanks
Walter
kora

Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:50 am

Hi all!

Previous buddy's comment is legitimate, I'll add.

All extended fields in saved FITS image are empty.

I'm attaching a screenshot of the blank data.
empty_external_fields.png
During extended exposure, if you read several times in meteorology, the initial value may be sufficient. The data is inside before closing the image, but there is no finalization.
This little bug seems to have no fix?
Sorry, terrible English is not my language...

Best regard Alexander Kóra
kora

Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:55 pm

I will clarify my description.

Remark

Fits image fits header include correct data.
fits_data_ok.png
Fits imege information not read it information, 0.0 show.
Prism_fits_data_ok_image_info_empty.png
rottielover

Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:36 am

I'm not sure on the airmass. The screenshots you showed look to be the locations used for if you have a weather station / monitor hooked up.

I have not found a way to insert these unless I manually do it because I do not own a weather station.

If you own one that's ASCOM compliant I think Prism would insert what it gets from the sensors here.