Fits orientation

Calibration tools, stacking, aligning,..
rspostrspost

Wed May 15, 2019 7:56 pm

Is there a way to set Prism to open images N up and E left. I don't want to open and flip, but have the default changed. I did not see this in settings.

thanks, Dick
rottielover

Fri May 17, 2019 11:13 am

I'm fairly new to Prism, and didn't see options for this either. I was curious though if there is another software that's able to do this? I looked through PixInsight and SGP and did not see an option for this either.

I believe it would require an already plate-solved image to know what direction N is wouldn't it?
rspostrspost

Fri May 17, 2019 12:31 pm

I use Mira for photometry. It has a click box to up flip the image. This step does not plate solution as the image only has to be flipped. The images is an array of pixels and a program can read them in any order. Don't think of this request as orientating an image as changing how the pixel array is read.

If you were using a rotator and changing your position angle, then if could be done if the position angle is in the fits header. calibrating your position angle does require taking and plate solving an image, but done once, the rotator knows the orientation. Orientating this type of situation is not what I was requesting. Presumable, users how rotate their images for presentation, they would not want them rotated for North up.

Dick
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Wed May 22, 2019 9:41 am

Ok, I understand. I will into this and provide the best approach
Hamza Touhami | Site Administrator
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
kora

Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:04 am

I'll be writing to Dustin, the developer of astrometry.net. The orientation of the image running on Windows is included in the new.fits HUD data that you can see in my perception database program.
red line indicates
MyObserverImageOrientatio.png
In the prism, after successful astrometry, turn on mirroring due to the side, if not correct.
Prism rotatio.png
Astra Imagej software runs on both windows and linux. The picture shows fits header based on North East skyline.
astroimage_j.png
kora

Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:42 am

I think it is important to mention that after image astrometry processing the page display should be correct and the setup should be set according to the Setup / Software setting / CCD-Telescope tab Direct orientation according to the telescope type.
Setup_orientatio.png