astrometry.net improvements

Calibration tools, stacking, aligning,..
jason

Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:01 am

I want to use astrometry.net methods as my primary solver since it is 100x faster and way more reliable. I am working on making and upstreaming simplified "servers" users can use on windows and linux w/ astrometry.net, kind of like ansrv... but maybe a different kind or less of a hassle to setup, who knows. Source will be available though and I'll try to get it into astrometry.net rather than let it bitrot somewhere else and one of the reasons why I am doing this is because ansrv/allsky/astrotortilla et al is using old versions of astrometry.net with problems that have affected me and only the ansrv (or those authors) maintainer can update it...

Once I have this capability up (any day now for something I am testing), to better make use of it, prism should:
  • Support astrometry.net in automated mode more, leaning on it as primary rather than as a backup (there are some settings that indicate only to fail over to it)
  • re-use the previously opened dialog window for the astrometry.net log, at least tracking to the window displaying the image/ obeying the reuse window settings. I do so many plate solves in a night they just end up making a ton of windows that aren't really useful save for the last output.
  • make it optional to download/display the annotated solved image,these build up and become clutter, I get claustrophobic in prism on my laptop.
  • Make astrometry.net jobs cancelable
  • Allow applying a previous / the last solution to the mount. Can't tell you how many times I've had the mount off or disconnected, missed my solution solve dialog which asks to apply the result to the mount and had to wait another 300 seconds, on a bad queue intensive day.
To be clear though all still useful and have alot of value for users using nova.astrometry.net now, though!
kora

Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:56 am

I am very happy with this writing.

I built linux own sextractor - astrometry and hotpants packages.
I wrote for Windows using c # astrometry.net api, contact (Dustin help astrometry.net) which automatically builds a database of objects from images.
MyObserverImageOrientatio.png
Unfortunately my linux web is still there, do not know Prism setting is possible? The ansver has no authentication API key.
hotpants.png
http://astrometry.net/doc/nova.html

Do you have experience?