Suggest New Tutorial Topics

Hello, this section will be dedicated to the tutorial videos i'll posting about using PRISM.
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:41 am

Ladies and Gents

Now is the time to suggest new video tutorials, please respond to the post with what you wish to see as new material.
Hamza Touhami | Site Administrator
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
keving

Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:39 pm

Possibly a bit niche, but spectroscopy would be nice..
I see a whole slew of acquisition and processing options available. I have experimented with acqiusition and like the slit guiding, but not sure if I am using it correctly... I have not dabbled with the spectroscopy processing suite yet

many thanks
Kevin
rspostrspost

Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:31 pm

Hi, I would like to see spectroscopy also. One of the advantages of Prism is the ability to run 3 camera. With an Astrometric Instruments Hydra one can run a port for spectroscopy and one for imaging. 2 channels can be used in spectroscopy for guiding and spectra and the 3rd for imaging.

One topic would be to identify the target star by plate solving the guider image and automatically moving the star to the slit and start guiding on a second star or the object for spectroscopy. Then one would like to make a list of targets to feed in by a script and then automate spectroscopy. It is difficult to do manually in the middle of the night, so it is nice to get a script running and them go to sleep.

This topic might be broken into 3 parts, manual spectroscopy with plate solving and moving the target to the slit, writing scripts for imaging and guiding followed by combining them to run automated spectroscopy.

Regards, Dick
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Wed May 02, 2018 3:17 pm

I expected a little more movement in this thread but I guess spectro takes the crown. Our new observatory is nearing completion and I think that a lot more video tutorials will be produced.
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
dhavalbbhatt

Thu May 31, 2018 1:39 pm

Can we have a dedicated tutorial on Focusing especially within Automatic Observations? I believe there is a difference especially what HFD and ADU values need to be used to select a star. I realize that every equipment combination cannot be figured out, but I know in one of the Focusing tutorials you (Hamza) had mentioned you would create a tutorial to show how to select the right ADU and HFD values from pictures taken from a users equipment.

Thanks,
Dhaval
rspostrspost

Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:32 pm

Hi Hamza,

I think you could accelerate the use of Prism for spectroscopy in the US by asking Olivier Thizy, olivier.thizy@yahoo.fr, to write a tutorial. You may know that he is using Prism for spectroscopy and has written software to automate data acquisition using Prism. Perhaps you could pay him to write the missing chapter of the manual. He has so much experience with spectroscopy, Prism and writes well in English. I certain would appreciate this and spectroscopy is the reason I bought Prism. As you know, spectroscopy is getting more popular and you have a chance to make Prism the standard for amateur spectroscopy, but you will miss the boat at this rate. Others have their eye on the market.

Regards, Dick
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:36 am

Excellent suggestion Dick and I thank you for that, I will reach out to him, he is an excellent gentleman.
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
Ron

Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:46 pm

I'd like to see one on interfacing with a dome. I'm playing guessing games and a bit of trial and error to try and figure out how to set it. (mostly error).
Im' also forced to use poth - to enter offsets. Sure they have to be in Prism too? I'm loving Prism for what I see it can do, but learning is slow going. Dome tracks, but sometimes off - and guiding at the inside of the dome. Plate solving is awesome (FAST), centering great, star chart works well. search... for targets all good. I can snap frames with the 1600MMC (though no sequence or pre-configured testing yet). I need to get the basics working before I go further. I need to undestanding guiding better. (what is good guiding with Prism?) Best was 1.44 tot rms. But with PHD I get .33 tot rms. (does that matter?) guiding has been a little irratic. But I cleaned my guide scope and trying to set it up better. Dome rotation error is the killer so far. I have to unslave the dome and rotate it manually. I appreciate your support here but it's very slow. I understand you're one man, I had hoped more people using this would be here to share. I have 75 days left and not sure if I'll make it at this pace (hahahah chuckling).

The manual is very basic. (dome control panel etc...) touches on basics but what about off sets?

Filenaming for exposure, gain and filter used in the filenames?

Part of liking it is getting used to it. I have been loading it up in the morning and playing all day - pointing, taking test subs (daylight) and just trying to get to know things... but things like dome shutter misalignment makes me come to a stand skill until resolved. Stars tonight maybe... If so I'll try guiding again.
wglogowski

Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:27 pm

I was looking at the French version of the Prism website and they have posted a video explaining all the new features of v10. Maybe you can do the same?
rspostrspost

Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:46 pm

Hi Hamza,

I think getting complete documentation is taking too long. Why don't you link us to the French website? Google translate is really doing a good job. Since French and English speakers use a spectroscopy Yahoo group, I translate the French and it is working well. YOu are about to come out with version 11 and we'd love to know the new features. Undoubtedly, it will be on the French site first. We need more and better support, so with your limited resources, you need to learn how to build on Prism's French home.

Dick
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:05 am

It is not hidden and always available through a google search like " Prism French Forum". It resides here for your reference : http://www.prism-astro.com/forum/
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
rottielover

Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:29 am

How to build your custom horizon :) (sorry I made a separate thread for this already before I saw this thread for suggestions)

edit:
I found a way to do this easily using a 3rd party iphone app, thread here and I posted instructions: http://www.prism-astro.com/forum_us/vie ... 1319#p1319
rottielover

Fri May 10, 2019 7:45 am

Tutorial suggestion: Using Prism to determine best time/date to image a target | Alternative Using Prism for planning my clear sky nights

I got to thinking about this because I've had so many cloudy nights that I decided to buy some time on a remote scope to get some data to work with (Chilescope if anyone is interested I can post a separate thread). Anyway I was using my desktop machine and installed Prism and used it to move the sky chart to the location of the remote observatory and then played around with it to plan my remote imaging session. I was doing all this mostly manually.

I got to thinking though, that with Prism's automatic observations, I wonder if it would be possible to setup simulators for scope and camera's etc, and use that to have Prism tell me some ideal dates for attempting certain targets?

Bonus points - Have Prism tell me that an object I picked would be better imaged at a later time in the year (or something to that effect).

Alternative - How to use Prism to plan my nights better so that I can take full advantage of clear skies (since they have been so limited lately!!)

Thoughts?
rottielover

Fri May 10, 2019 12:10 pm

Tutorial (series?) suggestion: Your Mount and Prism - PEC training - (goes along with the already done pointing model video)

I think this would be a good couple of videos to produce and it would go along with the Pointing Model video you already did. Could start out with a brief summary about types of mounts and why you would want to use PEC , Pointing Model, etc. (or maybe more to the point is why you would not use these things), then you can point to the already done video for pointing model. I would love to see one on the PEC options in Prism, and other general "how-to's" on getting the most performance from your gear. I think that goes along fairly nicely with a lot of the already done tutorials on how to get the tip/tilt measurements etc.
jason

Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:17 pm

rottielover wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 12:10 pm
Tutorial (series?) suggestion: Your Mount and Prism - PEC training - (goes along with the already done pointing model video)

I think this would be a good couple of videos to produce and it would go along with the Pointing Model video you already did. Could start out with a brief summary about types of mounts and why you would want to use PEC , Pointing Model, etc. (or maybe more to the point is why you would not use these things), then you can point to the already done video for pointing model. I would love to see one on the PEC options in Prism, and other general "how-to's" on getting the most performance from your gear. I think that goes along fairly nicely with a lot of the already done tutorials on how to get the tip/tilt measurements etc.
I'd definitely like to know how to do PEC training with prism, but it's not clear to me it has PEC compensation / playback capabilities - I figured it was just analysis?

I think a work flow for how to chain all of these things together for the nomad astronomer - would also be great - this could be on creation/customization of "stock" prism scripts to help decrease the setup time or something.
jason

Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:46 pm

New tutorial request:

Use prism remotely - whether at a distance or locally but in a setup with the gear ontop of the scope + a local laptop.

I have a compute stick running my gear and I teamviewer into it, I've stumbled onto some of the remote options on prism before but I'm not sure how well they work, I haven't bothered trying them out yet. Can a tutorial be done (preferably the video kind) showing how you guys use prism remotely?
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:51 am

great suggestion, I will work on that
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
DimasSom

Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:36 am

Здравствуйте!

Рекомендую Вам обратить внимание на данный сайт

Лучшие материалы по форексу

Здесь представлена информация о лучших форекс брокерах.

Особое внимание обратите на закрытый раздел сайта.

В данном разделе Вы найдете лучшую литературу по торговле на форекс, а также лучшие стратегии торговли, и многое другое.