Plate-solving after meridian flip

Hello, this section will be dedicated to the tutorial videos i'll posting about using PRISM.
Alnitak

Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:27 pm

Hi Hamza,

I sent you an email earlier with a few questions but I figured I'd make the tutorial request official here. For us beginners one of the things I'm having serious issues with is the meridian flip. I'd like a walkthrough video of the process during imaging how the software handles the flip and re-centers afterward using plate-solving.

Thanks for all the hard work.
E.S. 127mm ED, SV70T, Celestron CGX, ZWO ASI1600mm w/ Baader LRGB Ha OIII SII filters, Orion 50mm guide scope with S.S.A.G.

“The brain is like a muscle. When it is in use we feel very good. Understanding is joyous.” - Carl Sagan
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:05 pm

I have already handled this extensively in my automation video,please refer to it here starting. Please find it here: https://youtu.be/cW5MCONU9_I?t=1875
Hamza Touhami | Site Administrator
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
Alnitak

Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:19 pm

Hamza,
The video does an excellent job of explaining how it's handled when you are using the automation sequence but I'm manually imaging because I can't seem to get the automation settings correct. Every time I try an automation sequence it fails.
What I'm doing is just manually capturing images until my object reaches the meridian and then doing the flip manually and starting the imaging up again manually.

Is there a way to plate solve the last image before the flip, do the flip and then take another image and plate solve it and tell the scope to match the first one before the flip?

If I had more time I would work out the kinks with the automation part but my imaging time is limited so I don't mind skipping that for now.
E.S. 127mm ED, SV70T, Celestron CGX, ZWO ASI1600mm w/ Baader LRGB Ha OIII SII filters, Orion 50mm guide scope with S.S.A.G.

“The brain is like a muscle. When it is in use we feel very good. Understanding is joyous.” - Carl Sagan
Cyril Cavadore
Site Admin

Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:41 pm

Is there a way to plate solve the last image before the flip, do the flip and then take another image and plate solve it and tell the scope to match the first one before the flip?
Could you explain the goal of doing this ?
Cyril Cavadore
Principal Prism Author,
Alcor-System
www.alcor-system.com
Alnitak

Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:28 pm

Happy to.

I can't get the automation feature to work. Every time I attempt to set up an automation sequence it starts and then immediately stops with an error. Sorry, I can't remember the error off the top of my head because it's been a while since I bothered even trying. I understand when using the automation feature this supposedly works as Hamza explained.

So I'm manually imaging a sequence overhead and the object gets to a point where the mount (Celestron CGX) need to do the meridian flip. When it does, the image is no longer in the exact same position. It's close, but not the same, minus the flip of course.
I just want to know how to tell the mount to look at the last image before the flip and line up the new image, after the flip, to be exactly the same as the last one.

Alnitak

Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:29 pm

I'd be thrilled to get the Automation feature working. The next night I have a chance to give it a try I'll make sure the log is turned on and send it to you so you can see the errors I'm getting.