Prism and Microsoft Defender

We will use this sections for different announcements
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:24 pm

Greetings

We have been made aware that Microsoft defender might be considering Prism as a threat, some instances have been reported where Prism.exe has been quarantined. This means that MS defender will try and deleted all programs that it considered threats by design, this typically happens when they update their antivirus databases.

We can assure you that there is nothing malicious about Prism as you have come to expect, we urge you to check with your antivirus and ensure that you add it to the " Safe programs" list.

I remain available to help you, please let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Thanks you.
Hamza Touhami | Site Administrator
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
Viguen

Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:12 pm

When such a problem occurs, what steps are taken other than placing the program in the "safe program" list. Does MS Defender modify their scanner to avoid such alerts, or does PRISM remove code that triggers the alert. Earlier I had asked if the name Prism may have triggered the problem, given earlier FBI Prism Trojans. Not suggesting a name change. :)
Viguen

Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:22 pm

This is a follow-up to my earlier post
If you are reading this post you most likely were affected by Microsoft Defender disabling PRISM v10. My initial reaction could not have been different from yours. My approach, however, was to understand what went wrong.
My thoughts and actions:
1. Could PRISM have imbedded malware in the software? Such a possibility made no sense!
2. Is the culprit an external malware, perhaps from a download? The answer in my case was no.
3. Microsoft Defender was implicating PRISM, but that did not make sense. Full scans of the computer did not reveal any malware before, so why now?
4. In discussing the condition with nationally reputable Astronomy software and hardware vendors, I discovered that Defender and other anti-malware software do at times report “false positives” and block the software! Their recommendation was to place PRISM in “safe programs” under Microsoft Defender which will prevent the reoccurrence of the problem.
5. I also contacted PRISM technical support who were incredibly apologetic, and promised to write a detailed procedure to resolve the problem. Please look for it in this section of the forum.
Final analysis, placing PRISM in “safe programs” solved the problem and it is up and running.
rspostrspost

Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:13 am

I just got a Defender trojan warning for the first time as having it installed for a year. See the attachment.
Dick
Attachments
Windows defender finds a trojan.JPG
Windows defender finds a trojan.JPG (19.3 KiB) Viewed 3633 times
rspostrspost

Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:12 pm

Defender already had wiped out Prism.exe from it folder. Replacing it from my laptop did not allow recovery. I have added Prism and its folder to Defender's Exclusions.
Dick
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:14 am

Hi Dick

Thanks for the report. As it happens, this is a third party issue that we are investigating, I am glad to see that you added Prism and its folder to the whitelist. I have does the same thing for some of our customers and it seems to have remedied the problem.

Any success on your end? is Prism back up and running?
Hamza Touhami | Site Administrator
Hyperion-Astronomy.com
Vkagnihotri

Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:00 am

Hello

Microsoft defender deleted PRiSM files twice.. :lol: I put all prorgam file folder in safe list.. :P

Very funny indeed with microsoft

Regards
Vikrant
Attachments
Prism.jpg