This thread will be dedicated to accumulated knowledge to depict the most commonly asked questions. This will be updated very frequently.
WHAT IS PRISM?
Prism is an integrated astro imaging software solution which incorporates the following functions:
- Detailed sky planetarium with a wide range of catalogs & DSS images
- Control of all your imaging equipment
- CCD and Canon DSLR cameras for image acquisition
- Filter wheels
- Dome & Shelters and power controls
- Weather stations/Cloud sensors
- GPS units for location and time synchronization
- Creation of master bias, dark and flat frames
- Image calibration
- Removal of cosmetic image defects- blooming, bad columns
- Image processing and Stacking
- Color image creation and processing
- Astrometry (asteroids & comets)
- Optical Alignment tools
- Plate solving and find where your scope is pointing
- Polar alignment tool
- Image selection based on star FWHM and elongation
- Create and use a pointing model
- Fully automated imaging sessions including:
- Opening dome/shelter
- Cooling the cameras
- Slewing to desired targets
- Auto centering
- Capturing images
- Obtaining flat fields at dusk or dawn
- Parking the telescope
- Warming the CCD camera
- Closing the dome
- Process and create AVI files
Not at all, Prism v10 is a complete standalone software that requires no other software interaction. However, Prism is not a replacement for your equipments drivers. You will still need them, as this is how Prism communicates with your equipment.
WHY DO I HAVE A 32 AND 64 BIT VERSIONS OF PRISM INSTALLED ON MY COMPUTER?
The 64bit version is designed for processing big files and allows you to utilize more than 4GB of RAM on your PC, It is not designed to control any hardware since the 32bit version does that very well.
SUCH A POWERFUL SOFTWARE REQUIRES A MATCHING COMPUTER, RIGHT?
No, Prism v10 is very powerful and yet extremely efficient. Some customers operate entire imaging rigs in Chile solely on small fanless computers with Prism v10 at their hearts.
Here is a list of the system specifications you will need to run PRISM;
- A computer 100% PC Compatible with the CPU speed of 1 GHz.
- At least 512 MB of RAM.
- 400 MB of free hard disk space.
- 1024 x 768 graphics card with 16 million colors.
- Windows 8, 7, Vista, XP. 32 or 64 bit version.
Recommended System configuration;
- 4+ GB of RAM.
- A computer 100% PC compatible with dual or quad cores, and a CPU speed of 2 GHz.
- 10 GB of free hard disk space.
- 1368 x 768 or greater screen resolution. PRISM is a feature rich program that is best used on a 1920 x 1080 screen size or larger.
- Windows 7, 8, or 10.
- Prism is 100% ASCOM 6 compliant, and the ASCOM platform is installed automatically if it is found missing on your system by Prism installer. The .NET framework 3.5 is required to install the ASCOM 6 platform, and it s not installed by default in windows 10.
No, your copy of prism v10 will be fully functional as long as you own it. Typically, we provide bug fixes for three generations from latest one released. Example: Version 10 is the latest so there is support for 9 and 8 as well.
DO EXISTING CUSTOMERS GET A DISCOUNT ON FUTURE VERSIONS OF PRISM?
Yes, our customers will always have a path forward to upgrade at a discounted price.
DO I NEED TO PURCHASE A SEPARATE FOCUSING SOFTWARE?
No, Prism has four focus routines built in: Manual, Automatic, Spectral and Direct. Please refer to this video for a demonstration : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PN93MX ... ieAqRljqAh
DOES PRISM HANDLE PLATE SOLVING?
You bet ! Both known and blind plate solving methods are directly implemented in Prism. Astrometry.net is also supported both locally and online.
DOES PRISM REQUIRE ANOTHER SOFTWARE TO AUTOGUIDE?
No, centroid, FFT intercorrelation and slit guiding are built right in.
I HAVE READ ALL THE LITERATURE AND STILL NEED HELP, WHAT DO I DO?
This is an easy one, just got a hold of us ! We are here to help you through any hurdles you might encounter. We have a help file that is installed with Prism, video tutorials, a full forum, email, phone... We are here to help, just reach out
DOES PRISM WORK WITH MY EQUIPMENT?
Prism will work on anything with an ASCOM driver.
IS MY SOFTWARE BISQUE PARAMOUNT SUPPORTED?
Yes, you need the SkyX program to be running in the background to allow control of your mount in Prism or any third party program. This is a Software Bisque requirement. Please download the appropriate driver here: https://ascom-standards.org/Downloads/ScopeDrivers.htm
DOES MY CELESTRON WORK WITH PRISM?
Yes, Please install the ASCOM Celestron Unified driver found here: https://ascom-standards.org/Downloads/ScopeDrivers.htm