Reviewing Prism for use in my OBS  [SOLVED]

RGR

Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:18 pm

Good Morning,

From the reviews I have read, and the comments about one application to automate OBS control, I am reviewing Prism as a replacement for CCDAutoPilot. After reading the user manual, FAQ's and the topics here, I still have a few questions that remain to be answered. If anyone has any experience or direct knowledge of the hardware listed and the compatibility, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Equipment:

Paramount MX+
TSX Pro with T-Point and Camera add-ons
SBIG STXL-16200 camera
FW8G-STXL Color Filter Wheel
AO-X Adaptive Optics
Optec Inc Gemini Focuser / Rotator
Optec Inc Alnitak FlatMan XL
Interactive Astronomy SkyAlert weather station (Produces Boltwood compatible Single Line Data File)
Interactive Astronomy SkyRoof RoR controller

Please comment or correct my notes below regarding hardware compatibility.

Paramount MX+ (Use requires "ASCOM to X mount adaptor" is installed)

SBIG STXL-16200 camera (Has native Driver support)

FW8G-STXL Color Filter Wheel (Not sure if this is supported, but should be since it is connected to the camera. This CFW has an internal LAI-0304 CCD Guide chip. Is it supported? It is connected to the main camera head via HDMI)

AO-X Adaptive Optics (Reading the forum, it seems that the AO-X is supported. From the forum: "The guider settings that made this work were utilizing full frame guiding and Global Image for shift computation method", but a search on the term "Global Image for shift computation method" produced no results. Can someone please post a screen shot of this setting?

Optec Inc Gemini Focuser / Rotator - Should be supported as it has an ASCOM driver

Optec Inc Alnitak FlatMan XL - I do not see any option in the FLATS RECORDING tab to utilize a flat panel. In other programs you have an automated FLATS routine that allows you to use SKY-FLATS or PANEL-FLATS. The flats are taken with a desired ADU in mind, and a starting point for the Exposure and Panel Brightness. The FlatMan includes a command line program that allows the user to turn on and control the panel brightness in such a way that I can set the Exposure time to say 3 seconds and the panel brightness to 20 and take a flat that is 33,000 ADU. Since automation is the goal and this is not a current feature, how long would this take to be added to the product and what is the process to request a feature update?

Interactive Astronomy SkyAlert weather station (Produces Boltwood compatible Single Line Data File). This is still a grey area. From the posts here, it looks like the data from the SLD file is read and the values populated, but the confusion is cause by a separation "cloud sensor" and "weather station" in the documents. The SkyAlert is both. It monitors the weather and cloud condition.

This leads to another related topic.
Does Prism monitor the weather for RAIN, and in the event of RAIN, abort the session, park the scope, and close the roof?
If so, does Prism continue to monitor the weather and restart the session upon the weather clearing?
What are the actions if Light Clouds roll in?
Does Prism pause the session until the clouds pass?
What are the actions if a sky condition of very cloudy is reported?
Does Prism pause the session, abort the session and close the OBS as if a rain event happened? Does Prism continue to monitor the weather and restart the session upon the weather clearing?

Interactive Astronomy SkyRoof RoR controller - This should be supported as it is ASCOM compliant. Does anyone have this RoR controller and have successfully used it with Prism?

I think I have covered most of my questions at this point in my research. Thanks in advance for your response...

Randy
Darkstar Observatory

Last bumped by Anonymous on Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:18 pm.