dithering

Hardware and software setups, autoguiding and plate solving parameters, etc..
malcolmpark

Thu May 10, 2018 5:56 am

How do you engage dithering when guiding?
There appear to be two ways to set up an imaging sequence, both of them have a condition attached for dithering - only if not guiding.
How in Prism does one dither when one IS guiding?

edit: of course I don't mean to do both dithering and guiding at the same time. But Prism is smart enough to know to stop guiding while dithering, and to resume guiding once dithering is completed. I just can't find where this setting is.

thanks
Malcolm
Untitled-1.jpg
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Fri May 11, 2018 9:29 am

The image to the left is exactly where you set you dithering for the automatic observation and the one to the right is where you set it for the manual obs. PRISM waits for the exposure to end, dither ( intentionally introduce and error) then wait for the star to settle and resume imaging. "only if not guiding" means that PRISM will not introduce the error while you're imaging of course :)
Hamza Touhami | Site Administrator
Hyperion-Astronomy.com

malcolmpark

Sat May 12, 2018 7:41 am

and why do you have the warning "do not enable if guiding is running!" in brackets by the checkbox?
I'm going to hope that what is meant here is
"Guiding is disabled during dither" (which is as expected...)

Malcolm
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Sun May 13, 2018 12:03 pm

Verbiage can enhanced, but you get the concept.
Hyperion-Astronomy.com

malcolmpark

Sun May 13, 2018 5:32 pm

I think this will be the last question on the subject, why are dithering units in arc seconds on Automatic Observations, and pixels on the Exposure Sequence screen?
thanks,
Malcolm
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Sun May 13, 2018 5:40 pm

The truth of the matter is, when you write over a million lines of code, you are bound to overlook a thing or two. This is where our users become invaluable. Thanks for pointing that out, I will take note of it ;) .
Hyperion-Astronomy.com