Files size is double of what it is in SGPro

Questions and answers about the best way to get started with Prism including: est hardware to use, software settings, etc..
dhavalbbhatt

Sat May 12, 2018 5:35 pm

Hello all,
I used to image with SGPro and then I bought Prism. I have generally loved using Prism given that it has much more functionality than SGPro, however, there is one thing that has been bothering me. The images saved from a Prism run are double the size of what they were when I used SGPro (32MB v/s 16MB). There has been no change in equipment, just the capture software (i.e. Prism v/s SGPro). I am sure there has to be a setting that is doubling the file size (maybe more metadata in Prism than in SGPro)? The issue is that I have a remote observatory and getting all the nightly data from the remote observatory to my local computer is getting to be a PITA.

Any one know how to manage file sizes?

Just for record - I am using ATIK 383L+ Mono camera.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dhaval
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Sun May 13, 2018 11:51 am

There are multiple options in PRISM of course, here are some screenshots. This is a graphical comparison what different formats produce:
File comparison 16 and 32.PNG
These are the menus where you can find them and use what you like.
FITS or CPA.PNG
Refine your selection here.
FITS saving.PNG
Naturally, in a PRISM forum, we have no idea what other software do and it is actually out of scope to even mention that, we cannot help you there. However, we can help you mostly with universal concepts since they apply everywhere. 16 vs 32 bit can make a huge difference in file sizes, Cyril has predicted all this and made a lossless compressed file format called CPA, I recommend you use it.
Hamza Touhami | Site Administrator
Hyperion-Astronomy.com

dhavalbbhatt

Fri May 18, 2018 8:54 pm

Thanks Hamza. Will try those methods.

Dhaval