possible bug

Hardware and software setups, autoguiding and plate solving parameters, etc..
davebl

Tue May 29, 2018 8:46 am

I set up Prism Lite yesterday with all my hardware in the afternoon. I went back out in the evening to test it out and it didn't find my filter wheel. I tried to re-install it (ZWO Ascom FW) and when I clicked on the FW type button instead of the Ascom chooser, I got a long paragraph of code with an OK button. I clicked OK and what appeared to be the Ascom chooser came up with Line 1, line 2, and line 3 above the choosing part and there was nothing to choose from. Any ideas? I'm running Windows 10 Pro with the latest Prism update. I tried restarting everything without any change.
Dave
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Tue May 29, 2018 4:52 pm

Please give us some visuals to go on, screenshots would be best.
Hamza Touhami | Site Administrator
Hyperion-Astronomy.com

davebl

Tue May 29, 2018 10:22 pm

Here's 3 screen shots.
#1 choosing Ascom Filter Wheel
#2 looks like code. Not the screen I expect
#3 Last screen. Nothing to choose.
Dave
Pic3.jpg
Pic2.jpg
pic1.jpg
davebl

Tue May 29, 2018 10:24 pm

Pics were posted in reverse order. Start with bottom pic and work your way up.
Dave
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Tue May 29, 2018 11:02 pm

That seems iike an ASCOM problem, PRISM can only read what it is provided. One example of this that my own atik EF3 filterwheel displays, sometimes, 40 filters whereas I only have 7. Can you please reinstall ASCOM and see if it helps.
Hyperion-Astronomy.com

davebl

Wed May 30, 2018 4:50 pm

So I reloaded Ascom 6.3 and no change. I ran Ascom again and did the repair option, no change. Re downloaded the Ascom driver for the filter wheel and re installed that. No change. Tried the filter wheel with the SkyX and it works perfect. Ran Ascom Diagnostics and tested the filter wheel there and no problem. So it doesn't seem to be an Ascom problem with the filter wheel but maybe an Ascom problem with Prism. Any ideas? I originally loaded Prism on a Windows 7 computer, but upgraded that Observatory computer before I got to try it out. It seems to be working on the Win 7 computer, but it is no longer in the Observatory.
Dave
dhavalbbhatt

Thu May 31, 2018 1:48 pm

I had a funny thing happen with my focuser on 5/29/2018. I have a Moonlite Nitecrawler on Windows 10 Home connected to Prism using ASCOM drivers by ML. The focuser was working just fine prior to 5/29/2108 and even during the afternoon when I was collecting calibration files, however, in the evening when I was getting ready to set up Automatic Observation, the focuser would not connect. I re-boot the computer, but to no avail. I finally had to reinstall ML ASCOM drivers which seemed to fix the issue. I have no clue how the ASCOM driver got corrupted within a couple of hours, but something did happen.

Not saying this will solve the issue, but it clearly seems like an ASCOM thing.

Good luck and CS.

Dhaval
davebl

Thu May 31, 2018 4:23 pm

Thanks Dhaval,

I've already re-installed everything but Prism and Windows to no avail. There was a Windows 10 update not too long ago that messed up all the Ascom stuff. I have other software on the same computer that the filter wheel works just fine with. Who knows.

Dave
davebl

Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:06 pm

I guess there is no solution to this problem. What I was hoping to make my setup a little easier has become just a waste of money.
Dave
Hamza Touhami
Site Admin

Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:29 pm

Dave

It does happen that a problem is temporary, I have the example of a bad ASCOM driver for the filterwheel where you end up with 40 filters instead of the 7 I have. This is not something that we can help with since it is outside the scope of PRISM. Has anybody else have the same issue on the net by any chance? or is it a one off instance?
Hyperion-Astronomy.com

davebl

Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:06 pm

Thanks Hazma,
I'll keep messing with it and get to know it better. I'll let you know if I figure it out. Could work it out if the right update comes along.
Dave