GPS issue

Please use this thread to report any issues that are relating to the post installation of an update
Post Reply
The_Drizzle
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:47 am

Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:59 am

Prism does not accurately obtain GPS coordinates via a NMEA-0183 receiver. One the main GPS screen, Prism will display the Latitude coordinates but never show longitude. It will, however, show the "Add the site to the Sites Database" button. When you select the button it shows longitude coordinates but it is off by about 50 KM.

I used two GPS receivers and two different GPS programs to verify the coordinates are being properly received.
kora
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:38 am
Location: https://goo.gl/maps/AT1eV3nU1KhK9F7Z6
Contact:

Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:35 am

I may be able to help you. You could send actual geographic coordinates (expected results according to you) as well as MNEA-0183 data stream output..
GPS_MNEA_stream.png
My built-in arduino GPS MNEA device works correctly with the Prism 10.3.65.505. ver Win 10 op.sys.
GPS_MNEA_data.png
rottielover
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:22 pm
Location: Missouri, USA
Contact:

Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:23 am

Can you tell us the chip model for the gps?

I purchased a cheap gps off of amazon and it turns out that the stream it was outputting was not compatible. I would get the number of satellites in view and similar to you but it would never finish getting the coords etc.

The fix was to load up the gps chip software U-Center and then edit the NEMA settings to set the chip to compatibility mode and set GPS as the main talker.
The_Drizzle
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:47 am

Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:54 pm

rottielover wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:23 am
Can you tell us the chip model for the gps?

I purchased a cheap gps off of amazon and it turns out that the stream it was outputting was not compatible. I would get the number of satellites in view and similar to you but it would never finish getting the coords etc.

The fix was to load up the gps chip software U-Center and then edit the NEMA settings to set the chip to compatibility mode and set GPS as the main talker.
I deeply apologize for the long delay. I did have the notification setting set. I ordered two GPS chips both with the same issue. The first one is a U-BLOX UB-6010 from Amazon. This one pulled out correct coordinates (with programs other than Prism) but had a hard time maintaining signal lock. I then replaced it with a Used GlobalSat BU-353-S4-5Hz USB GPS Receiver. This maintains lock even indoors. This also pulls the correct coordinates in programs other than prism. I can see the longitude in my the "NMEA-0183 Downstream" tab but is is not showing up in the "Main" tab. The longitude in the main tab is still all zeros.
rottielover
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:22 pm
Location: Missouri, USA
Contact:

Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:46 am

I’m really not sure on those chips. Different than my UBlox chip.

I ended up having to load the ublox tool each time I want to use the gps and I have to go to the CFG and change settings. It then works. Here is the link to my ublox support forum post about this issue : https://portal.u-blox.com/s/question/0D ... elp-needed
Post Reply